Ford focus heater motor

On a 2001 Ford Focus interior heater / blower I notice that...

The volume of air supplied is very low until I hit the interior air re circulation button. THEN the volume of air doubles. I suspect a partial block in the exterior air inlet, or a problem with the door/valve controlling the air direction in the heater.

Anyone had this problem, and/or know how to unblock any internal obstructions? Any advice appreciated. Thank you. John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

***
Reply to
jhewitt

No, change the pollen filter!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es writes

The fan recirc motor is a common failure item on the Focus. Have you noticed a series of clicks or knocks recently from the glove compartment area when you switched the ignition on? Its a bit fiddly to replace (at least on RHD models). Its only held on by three screws but access is very tight.

The other thing to check is that your pollen filter isn't completely bunged up.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

No, seems to run smoothly. [ waiting for my Focus shop manual CD ] The fan motor is behind the glove box, then...? But the blockage is more likely to be the filter, five year old car, ex rental, liklely never ben changed - see below.

When Tim [ prev reply ] suggested checking the pollen filter, I thought... yes sure ..... But then you suggest the same thing, so maybe there is a filter. Where is it located, how do I get to it? John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

***
Reply to
jhewitt

In message , snipped-for-privacy@arrakis.es writes

I wasn't talking about the fan motor itself but the small motor which moves the flap which switches between fresh air and re-circulated air.

It automatically goes to the recirc position when you switch the ignition off and it goes back to "fresh air" when you start up. The limit switches in the motor go and you hear the flap trying to keep moving when its reached the end of its travel.

The pollen filter is under the black "scuttle panel" at the bottom of the windscreen externally on the passenger side (RHD). Its not difficult to change but you have to make sure that the panel is resealed properly as this is a major source of water leaks into the cabin if not done right. Take the filter out completely for diagnosis purposes.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Getting the scuttle cover off was no easy task. But got easier after I figgered that the Driver side cover had to come OFF first! Took the filter out, and the air volume came way up - though still not as high as the interior air recirc. option. Now running less the filter - until a mouse or a bat gets trapped in there.

Thanks for all of the advice and direction

John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

***
Reply to
jhewitt