Ford Ranger diesel fuel consumption?

Hi there,
I'm looking into buying a used Ford Ranger (2.5 diesel) in the UK from 2003/2003 and I wonder if anyone has any first-hand experience of this
vehicle to advise on fuel consumption. Specifically diesel.
Ford don't list this data in their spec as they claim "it depends what load you have in the back." Grrr! Yes, but it would be useful to have an idea of it with an empty load as a benchmark!
Thanks John