GM, Ford reputations take a hit

Page 2 of 2
Mike Hunter wrote:

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/brand/2006 /
Check out this ranking

Interesting.
Just 10 or so years ago, Google was a research project in CA. Now, they are #24.And the Coke brand is worth 5 times what the Pepsi brand is worth.
I am surprised Pfizer made the list. I know it is a huge drug maker, but I usually think of its brands as the brand name drugs rather than the company name.
Only three US vehicle brands made the list; one was a motorcycle company and another makes construction equipment. It should be noted that of the big 3, I think only Ford was well known around the world. Chrysler didn't have many operations outside North America. Likewise, GM owns Opel and Vauxhall. But its US names (Pontiac, Caddy, Chevy, Olds and Buick) were not sold much outside North America.To even be on the list, a brand must get at 1/3 of its earning outside its home country, which may explain why so many American car makers didn't make it.
And Smirnoff is British, not Russian. Who would have thought that?
JEff
That says it all ;)
mike

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070201/AUTO01/702010368/1148
Toyota and Honda do build better cars.
I'm not a mechanic, just a consumer. Maybe in the 70's the Toyotas and Hondas were not so great. But I believe that present day automobiles built by Toyota and Honda have much more quality than GM/Ford/Chrysler.
Look at the problems Ford has had; Crown Vic gas tanks, blend door problems, etc. Those are just the ones that come to mind. My Ford (purchased new) has had a new engine, plus numerous other problems.
Maybe American workers can't build better cars. I certainly hope not.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070201/AUTO01/702010368/1148

That person was obviously referring to what is on the 'North American Parts Label.' The is not really a true definition of the content therein. Commerce Department standards includes far more than the sum of the parts. 80% NA parts could in fact not include a single part made in the US, but rather parts made Canada or Mexico. Even a Camry made in Japan, with a "J" as the first VIN digit, that has not a single US part, carries a NAP Label the indicates a high percentage of NA parts when obviously it has none
The Honda Accord, Nissan Altima and Titan as well as the Toyotas made in the GM/Toyota plant in California ARE made in the US and have a US contest of at least 70% and exhibit a '1' as the first number of the VIN. All of the other Toyotas sold in the US are either made in Japan (J) or Canada (2), the balance are only assembled in the US, of less than 70% US content
I.E. the Tundra exhibits a '5' which indicates a US content of less than 40% and the Camry and Siena exhibit a '4' which indicates a total US content of more than 40%, but less than 70%. If you listen to current Toyota TV ads, they no longer say their vehicles are made in America because Honda filed false advertising complaint with the FTC. Toyota now says assemble in the US of world sourced parts.
mike

Good idea. You do not even understand 'bandwidth' as it applies to a NG. If you knew anything about how VINs apply to the various vehicles made in the US and other countries you would know how they differ naturally when applied to the various manufactures and vehicles How does your lack of knowledge on a subject make what you believe correct? Do your own research to educate yourself, WBMA. ;)
mike

No they don't, As stated before ( I was a toy mechanic ) I worked on toys for a number of years, and they are plagued with problems just like all the rest. I got rid of my wife's Accord when I found out the cam lobes were worn after 60k's ( 36,000 mile to you Americans ). My buddy bought a 20002 Honda brand new off the lot and less than two years later the rear shock mounts were rusting out. He then bought a Tacoma, and the quarters started rusting a few years later. And I can go on for years about issues that Toyotas and Honda had and have.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070201/AUTO01/702010368/1148
"a
perception

All car makers have problems. However, the question is, "Do Toyota and Honda, on average, have fewer problems than Ford and GM and DC?"
Unfortunately, unless you have good statistical information comparing Ford and GM to Toyota and Honda, there really is not way to tell.
I don't think there is a good source for this sort of long-term information.
Jeff
Sure there is, corporate fleets. They buy most every band you can name and generally keep them in service for five years or 300K WOF, because of federal corporate deprecation tax laws. To a corporate fleet their vehicles are simply just one more tool used in their business. They are extremely cognizant of total cost of ownership and keep meticulous cost records. Except for Luxury vehicles and Korean cars, used by the courier fleets, few of them buy many imports. Ford is the by far the choice of corporate and government fleets.
mike

You mean, the Crown Victoria, the car with one of the best Injury Loss Rating of any sedan sold in America? The Crown Victoria that is far safer than any Toyota sedan ever sold in this country? How come you highlight the over blown crap about CV Police Cars that are crashed into by vehicles doing 70's mph or more, but don't remember that Toyota Siennas were recalled for leaking gas tanks. How come you make a big deal out of Explorer blend air doors and don't mention that virtually every Toyota truck sold in this country in a decade had to be recalled for defective ball joints. I suppose having a broken blend door is a big problem, and having your front wheel fall off is unimportant. How about the thousands of Toyota owners that suffered from excessive oil sludge? Or how about the Corollas that were recalled for failure prone rear suspension? Why is it that you can recall any problem anyone has mentioned about a Ford, but can't seem to remember that Toyota recalled more vehicles in 2005 than they sold in 2005? Why is it that everyone thinks Explorers had a high rollover rate when Toyota 4Runners from the same era had a much higher accident and death rate? Why do you nit pick Ford and excuse a company that has pumped some of the most over hyped, over price crap ever sold?
Ed
In addition Ford is the ONLY manufacturer that builds their vehicles to withstand all crash forces 5 MPH above the NHTSA standards
mike

Jim Higgins wrote:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070201/AUTO01/702010368/1148 >
id like to know how the hell that survey was filled out