GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

Page 3 of 8

Thanks for the info. I will take a look next time I am out there.

The 2.7 litre engine is standard in the Charger SE.

A 2.7L Charger must be a real slug. Even the 3.5L is not particulalrly impressive. The 3.5L Chrysler 300 is slower than the 3.0L Ford Five Hundred which everyone except me says is "too slow." I can't imagine the 3.5L Charger is any faster than the 3.5L Chrsyler 300.
I wonder how many 2.7L V-6 Chargers Chryler actually sells? Hard to imagine anyone wanting a slow car that is also uncomfortable, rides poorly, has mediocre fuel economy (21/28), rattles, and is unreliable. I can see the atttraction of the Hemi version, at least until I get my first speeding ticket.
Ed
The 3.5L Chrysler 300 has 250HP and according to Car and Driver the 0-60 time is 7.3 seconds and that's with the lousy 4 speed. The 07 3.5L has the 5 speed which should improve it to 7.0 sec. No way is the Five Hundred faster than the Charger/300 with 3.5L. Sure the Five Hundred is lighter by a couple of hundred pounds but it is giving up 50HP/45 FT-LBS.
I have rented the 300 and it handles well and is really comfortable. No rattles and light years ahead of GM products. The bad areas are front/rear visibility.

You forgot to mention that it is incredibly ugly too.
That is your opinion. It has won the 10 best award for 3 years in a row. Car and Driver usually hates domestic cars but not with this car. The only car that GM makes that is RWD and has the performance of the Hemi is the Cadillac STS V8 but it costs 50% more.
wrote in message

station.
What car does? ;)
mike

who wrote:

Why not? The Northstar is a great engine (for 1993), but it doesn't have MDS like the Hemi does.
The highway mileage, listed in the CAFE Guide, is 25 MPG.
mike

Yes it is. Pretty impressive for a car that moves like the LX cars do.
Mike Hunter wrote:

After struggling with the lack of visibility of a rental Magnum, when I returned to my LH it was like being in a green house. Visibility returned! Night time vision through the Magnum's heavily tinted rear window was non existent. I needed outside help from my wife to park at night.
The cops do not like the Dodge and the Chevy because once the cage is installed there is not enough room in the back seat. To make more room some departments are placing the cage three inches ahead and that does not allow the driver seat to be moved back.
mike

80 Knight wrote:

When it came time to do the brakes on ours I asked at the dealers for the different part numbers for parts for the police package Imps and everything was the same so I just bought some good pads. The Suspension differences are just stiffer struts. The cooling system has the second fan the size as the first, there is one wrecked police package Imp in the junkyard near my house so I may pick up the fans someday.
N8N wrote:

Not to cross swords with another thread, but the Impala once again proves that front-wheel drive and police driving DO NOT MIX. The drivetrain isn't strong enough, and the handling isn't safe enough. Dodge never even bothered to try to certify the Intrepid/Concorde/Vision for that very reason, although a lot of police departments did buy them and use them for light-duty work.
It will be very interesting to see how the Charger plays out as a cop car. The 3.5L V6 Charger Police Package accelerates faster than the v8 Ford Interceptor, and the 5.7L V8 Charger Police Package is amazing. Ford has had the market to themselves WAY too long, and the Interceptor's pathetic performance is showing.
Apparently you are not aware the Interceptor has been upgraded every year and is by far the number one selling police vehicle. It is bullet prove in more ways than one. Too bad it is going away in 2008.
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:
(top posting fix0red)

It's probably #1 because it's been the only legitimate player in the game since the demise of the Caprice (up until Chrysler started certifying the Charger, that is.) Wasn't it you yourself that stated that if I didn't have a RWD car I couldn't understand what handling was? That's one statement that you've made that in general I wholeheartedly agree with. I think after a couple years we will be seeing a lot more MoPar cop cars unless GM or Ford gets their act together. I for one welcome the return of our Hemi-powered overlords (even if it's not the same Hemi.) Now just give me a goshdarned 2-door coupe with a manual transmission, please.
nate
--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Ford discontinuing another product that is selling well in a market they control! Oh well, Toyota will probably fill the need again.

I have a cool book about Mopar police packages over the years. The car I liked the most that they show is a 60's era Dart wagon with a 170 slant 6 one barrel for patrol duties. The police slant six added beefier bearings. At the other end of the mopar police package performance spectrum was the 440ci 4 barrel cars for highway patrol/interceptor duties. And every engine in between was also used -- 225 slant 6, 318ci, 360, 400, 440 in various flavors of carburettion. I dont think they put the 340 in cop cars. They didn't put the 426 Hemi in cop cars back then.
-

The CT state police even had a Ferrari for a while and a Corvette or two. I see a Camero in our area on a regular basis. Some of these cars come from drug busts.