GM Minivan Inaccurate Fuel Gauge

I've bought a 2001 GM Oldsmobile Silhouette Premiere minivan. The mileage is relatively high (82,000), however my closest examination (and I've does as much as overhauled engines and such in the past) indicates that it was very well cared for.

The only issue I find with it is that the fuel gauge tends to wander all over the place while the vehicle is parked. After I get it on the road and up to speed, it settles down. But while idling it may raise high or drop low. When it falls low, the engine data light comes on showing "low fuel." Sometimes the engine data light shows "low oil" instead.

This does not seem to be directly connected to engine speed--revving the engine while in parked doesn't change it. It only becomes steady and accurate while I'm actually driving.

I saw a title to one service bulletin for the 2004 model concerning inaccurate fuel gauge problems, but I can't see from the title if this is the same problem.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Reply to
RDKirk

Just a thought....instrumentation voltage regulators have been used to supply a very stable voltage source to the gauges in some cars. There have been cases where those things lose control and the voltage stability suffers.

Typical other issues involve bad ground connections, corrosion in connectors, etc.

I may be way off, but this is where I would start looking.

Reply to
<HLS