GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

I guess he never had his FAX spammed. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The economics are completely different. Sending email spam, especially using botnets, is essentially free. Last I saw, estimates were that the response rate on email spam was down around one in

100,000 -- but the cost of sending the message is so low they're still making a profit. At those rates, harvesting my email address from usenet is worth it to them; unfortunately, my email address was in so many different places long before there was spam that ceasing to use it on usenet wouldn't make any difference at this point. I don't use my personal email address on usenet!

A telemarketing call or fax spam costs infinitely more -- up in the pennies range. For random telemarketers to call my office to make pitches on the basis of harvesting the phone number from usenet would be insane; likewise to send spam to the department's fax machine on that basis.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Perhaps, but in the real world they still do so automatically at 3 AM . ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

For pete's sake, why are you still cross-posting about this? Nobody cares! Shut up!

Reply to
Joe

If you were paying attention I explained the 'why' about 12 posts ago, prior to all the pointless back-and-forth in this thread...

Never mud-wrestle with a pig. It doesn't accomplish anything, and after a while you realize that the pig is enjoying it.

If you want to keep up with him, that's your business.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Perhaps your ire should be directed to the person that cross posted the post to which I replied. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter