GM joins Ford in jettisoning the minivan market

When you're talking about what the public chooses to buy, good PR is just as good as a quality product, assuming it really works. Either way, GM and Ford have some catching up to do.

Personally I have a hard time believing that ANY car could be as shitty as a Taurus or Impala and remain on the market.

nate

Reply to
N8N

That may be your opinion but GM and Ford still outsell any import brand. Obviously millions of buyers do not agree with your personal opinion. I personally have owned imports and the imports were no better the domestic I currently buy, ever though they cost more to drive home. So what is your point?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Catch up to whom? GM and Ford out sell any import

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Not true.

My point is GM is in trouble and that you are doing nothing to help the situation by defending their piss poor products. What are you on that makes you so delusional that you cannot see the need for immediate, real, radical product improvement on the part of the American manufacturers if they want to remain even marginally competitive.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Toyota, Honda, VW, et. al.

They don't have the same design or quality and your statement is no longer true. Only GM currently outsells Toyota.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

GM and Ford are in trouble for sure but contrary to what you believe, GM and Fords current models are great reliable vehicles that have outscored many imports, including the Camry and the Accord in recent opinion poll of owner of 2006s like J D Powers and CR Gm and Ford by far makes the best truck the eclipse the sales of any import truck. .. GMs sales were up in the last quarter, as well. Fords light truck sales are down but their car sales are up. I own a 2006 and a 2007 domestic myself and they are great vehicles. The manufacture with the most recalls in 2006 was Toyota. I have tried to point out to you that what you believe is not factual. You many prefer imports but the fact is more buyers in the US bought vehicles from GM and Ford in 2006 than any import whether you agree or not..

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

This post brought to you by Mike's new book" Condescension: how to make friends and influence people by coming off like a know-it-all."

I think Joe knows what he's doing. Nothing available there that's not available elsewhere, and besides he's been posting here for *years*.

Reply to
Steve

This may all be true, but GM and Ford are still losing boatloads of money. Some of their problems go back many years and will haunt them for many more years. They need to do much more than just sell cars. They have to restructure costs so they can sell cars at a profit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I seem to remember those as maybe pie-in-the-sky projections for years down the line. I'm talking about projections for *next* *year*.

Any specific reason not to, or just sort of a general paranoia?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

You may know it all, I don't. My intent is to offer advice based on my life experiences, one if free to take that advice or not. The person addressed is not the only one reading that advice, those a bit wiser than some, may take note I don't see you posting all of your information in a NG. Replying to my internet address sends it directly to a 'dump' site ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

When you begin to get dozens of calls at 5 PM from telemarketers and all of the paper in your FAX machine is printed out with spam at 2 AM you may feel differently, unless of course it is not YOUR paper ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

As usual you do not know what you are talking about. Do a search and you will discover PTD.net is division of SECTV the oldest cable company in the WORLD, established in 1948. It is an all carbon fiber network, based in Allentown Pa, that I can connect to via satellite from wherever I am at the time. Do you want to see some picture from the 2006 Key West Fantasy Fest? LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

no question, but isn't that what they are doing? ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yet, Toyota builds approximately 60% of the cars it sells in the US in North America. The Toyota Sienna has about 90% US content. Compared with the Ford Mustang, which is about 65% US content. Honda also has invested heavily in the US. Can you name one vehicle in the US that meets the FTC requirements for "Made in the US?" Not one does. Honda employs about 25,000 people in the US. And has hundreds of domestic suppliers. And, unlike Ford, it builds airplanes.

As for your question about Toyota building cars in the US, all manufacturers are tending to build their cars closer to where they sell them. Toyota opened a new factory in Texas in the last month or so. And more and more plants are being opened in the US by foreign auto makters.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There is a huge difference between selling to rental and fleet companies and dumping them on rental and fleet companies.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Actually my 2007 Mustang GT convertible had a NA parts label of 80% which has nothing to do with the VIN designation. The first numbed of the VIN is a '1,' indicating built in the US with an American total content of over 70% as I explained to you on several occasions, include much more than parts. Like the Toyota based Pontiac Vibe

Honda does indeed build cars like the Accord in the US with over 70% American content and the first number of the VIN is a '1.' Nissan also builds vehicle in the US like the Titan and the first number of the VIN is a '1.' Toyota, with the exception of the Toyotas built in the GM/Toyota plant in California and the first number of the VIN is a '1,' only assembles cars, trucks and vans in the US and the first number of the VIN is a '4,' or '5' according to the American content. Contrary to what you believe, if you listen and watch what Toyota says in their newest ads, because of Hondas complaint, you will see they no longer say 'made in American' but rather 'assembled in American of world sourced parts.'

mike

Honda also has invested heavily in

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Excellent. That means that Ford upped its content of US parts in the Mustang.

You can explain all you want, but you have failed to explain why similar Mercury, Ford and Lincoln models, built on the same plant, have very different content. Please don't give me bullshit about the interiors coming from different places.

Furthermore, you have failed to support your contention that the first digit of the VIN has anything to do with content. If you are correct, please cite the site. I have looked several times and have found no evidence that the first digit means anything other than the country in which the vehicle was built. There is nothing about the first digit having anything to do with content in the legislation which describes the VIN.

Instead of explaining, how about backing up your comments with evidence?

Bullshit. The Toyota Sienna is over 90% NA content.

What company advertises that its cars are "Made in America?"

You can beleive what you want. However, you won't change my mind until you provide verifiable evidence. You have made the same claim over and over again about the first digit of the VIN refering to content, but you have never backed it up. Your claims are worth doo-doo to me. I take that back. At least doo-doo can be used as fertilizer.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

So... so it's sort of a lack of understanding of the differences between email spam and telemarketing. Nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

What differences?

Reply to
Just Facts

That part at least is partly true; the first character of the VIN is indeed "country of origin." e.g. a Volkswagen with a VIN starting "WVW" is a real, German-built VW, whereas a "1VW" is one built in Westmoreland, and "9VW" is one built in Brazil.

nate

Reply to
N8N