head gasket on 95 ford contour

I believe the head gasket on my 1995 ford contour is busted. Would anyone know how much something like that would cost to fix? I just want to get an idea of what i'm dealing with.
Thank you
I believe the head gasket on my 1995 ford contour is busted. Would anyone know how much something like that would cost to fix? I just want to get an idea of what i'm dealing with.
Thank you
Jeff writes:
Please use plain text only. With HTML, it is too hard to follow the conversation, because there is nothing that shows who wrote what (like >'s). Plus, for people who have vision problems or who are blind, it is much harder to read HTML sometimes (blind people use text to speech).
Anyway, it should cost $500 to $1000, depending on what engine 4 cyl or 6 cyl, if any work needs to be done on the head, or if anything else needs to be done.
What makes you think that the head gasket is bad?
Jeff
My car just got really hot it went past the red danger line. I took it to a Pep Boys near me and was told that it could be the head gasket because it won't start.

OK, you overheated the engine. You may need a new one. Regardless of what the cause of the engine overheating was (there was a problem with water pumps in the 95 V6's), whether it was a water pump, the belts, a broken hose or a head gasket, you may have had major damage to your engine from overheating.
If you can't turn the engine over, you have an engine that has probably been cooked internally and needs major repairs, that are quite expensive ($2000+) or a new or used engine.
Jeff
says...

The 95 V6 Duratec has a known issue with the water pump. The impeller cracks where it's mounted to the shaft, and it won't spin. That causes the car to overheat. I don't know if there was ever an offical warranty extension or recall on it.
Also, there were issues with the cooling fans seizing up. There was an extended warranty added for this.
Check out the forums at www.contour.org for more detailed information.