How do I access an 1989 Ford Bronco error codes w/o a scan tool?

Could someone tell me how I can access my friend's 1989 Ford Bronco's error codes w/o purchasing a scanner?
I've read/heard that I can access them via an analog volt meter... but I
do not know what the location is of the point of testing... nor the pins that I am to connect to?
Any help out there?
Thanks!
Jack
--

To Reply:

Remove the first 'o' from my email address ' snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net'!
http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford /

Thanks Clem! But I am confused w/ the diagram that is shown. It shows the negative end of the analog tester going to pin #4 and the positive end of the tester going to the positve terminal of the battery... of which from that point there is a test light going from the positve battery to the same pin #4 of the data link connector located in the engine department!
I must be having a a bad mental day.... but it doesn't make sense to me that you would place the testlight probe at pin # 4 where the negative analog test probe has been placed also!
Could you help me see some daylight here?!! This has been bugging me for the past few hours since I found your response to my question. It surely must be right... but I'm not gettin' the logic or something of going back to pin # 4 .
Thank you for your quick response, btw!
Jack
Clem wrote:

--

To Reply:

Remove the first 'o' from my email address ' snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net'!
"jalin" wrote

Here, have a look at my picture:
http://www3.telus.net/neatcrap/eec4.gif
Thanks MasterBlaster!
Wow! Your diagram looks a whole lot different than the first one I received... and it certainly makes more sense to me!
If you run across any other diagrams and explanations I'd be most grateful!
Thanks again.... Jack
MasterBlaster wrote:

--

To Reply:

Remove the first 'o' from my email address ' snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net'!
I had to look at the picture a while as well at batauto.
It shows 2 possible hook-ups to read the code "blinks". You can either have an analogue volt meter or a 12 volt test light hooked there....
Not both...
:^D

OK Clem & Thomas!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to go back and look at that diagram w/ another persepective! This must have been a time where I made things more complicated than it shou;d have been! :(
Thanks to both of ya' for helpin' me out here!
Jack