Actron scan tool - how to obtain OBDII codes '95 T100

1995 T100. 3.4 w/auto trans. 319,000 miles.

Two days ago, I attempted to use an Actron scan tool to read OBDII codes - nothing's wrong, I was just curious to see if everyting was within range. It was a loaner tool from my local Advance Auto Parts. I don't recall the model number. I plugged it in and followed the on-screen instructions. I was given the choice of Ford, GM, or something called "Global". I assume global means everything imported. So, I selected global. The upon actuating the scan function, the display acted like it was trying to communicate with the truck, but after a few seconds it showed some sort of a communications error. I tried everything again, same result. Now for the questions. Was I doing everthing right? Is there a trick to using a generic scan tool to get Toyota codes? I'm certain the system is OBDII. The check engine light is not on. Will any codes be set and not turn on the light? As I said, I'm just curious as to how things are running. When the truck starts rolling up this many miles, I can't help but think that things like the O2 sensors and such could start going south.

Reply to
Lhead

"Lhead" sez:

OBDII was not mandated in vehicles until '96 ... methinks you don't have it in that '95 T100.

See:

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
<v

Looking further down the listings on that page, it has certifications listed for '95 T100s so mebbe you do ... never mind. :-)

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
<v

If the scan tool is a loaner, chances are that it isn't working as well as it should and might be damaged. Try borrowing a different tool. If this gets the same results, there might be a problem with the diagnostic connector or wiring which is not allowing the scan tool to communicate with the engine computer.

Reply to
MrFixit469