I have a 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon and the belt

Hello,
I have a 1997 Ford Taurus Wagon and the belt started shredding. I had a friend look over everything and nothing appeared to be loose.
I have 71,000 miles and have never replaced it. He put a new belt on
and it seems to work fine. However, he said the tensioner could be slightly bent and the same thing might happen.
My question is do you think that it's true?
Also is it 100% guarantee that if I replace the tensioner that it will solve the problem.
Do you think that I should just check it once a week to see if it comes off the alignment?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:32:50 -0700 (PDT), samson

If you haven't changed the belt in 71,000 miles, I'd except it to be at the end of it's life expectancy and needing to be changed.

There are *no* 100% guarantees in life, *especially* where cars are concerned. Change it, at least you'll know it's a new part, or don't change it and take your chances. I don't really give a shit one way or the other.

I think you are one of those types who are incapable of maintaining a vehicle. Put a "For Sale" sign on it at your earliest convenience.