Loose Tie Rods 98 Crown Vic

Hi All: I finally took your advice and jacked up my car and wiggled the wheels. I'm not pleased with what I found. The passanger side tie rod is extremely loose, in fact I'm not sure its safe to drive to the repair shop. Can this thing actually break?

Also, the driver side tie rod is not quite as loose, but the lower ball joint is loose.

All in all, I will have new ball joints and tie rods installed (and front end alingment) this week (ASAP)

Anyone hazzard a guess about how much it will cost?

I'm guessing between $400 -$ 500; maybe more if they find other worn parts. I will also insist on suspension parts with greese fittings.

Reply to
msterspy

btw tell us the milage lmfao

hurc ast

Reply to
hurricane 575

Reply to
msterspy

I would have expected them to need to ne replaced much earlier. If it were my car I'd replace the tie for ends and ball joints myself with Moog aftermarket replacements then drive it somepalce to get aligned.

Reply to
scott_z500

They did need to be replaced earlier. I have been complaining about lousey handling etc for a couple of years now, and my mechanic insisted that the front end was tight. Now I'm telling him that they need to be replaced. This also brings up another point. Why am I paying $29.00/year for Mass state inspection? This car should have failed two months ago when I had it inspected. As far as doing the work myself, I would like to but I'm getting too old for this kind of work. Also, I never seem to have the right tools for the job. Don't you need some kind of press to remove the ball joints?

Reply to
msterspy

Being a 98 CV, it probably needs lower control arm bushings too at that mileage.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman