Tie Rods??

Hi Guys, I just picked up a 95 YJ for my niece. It need some work but runs ok. I took it to work the other day to make shure it's safe and after hitting some rather bumpy RR tracks the jeep went into the most violent shake, after slowing down it went away. I'm thinking tie rods but never having them go bad on me I just wanted to ask? Thanks

Reply to
<95YJ
95YJ did pass the time by typing:

That woud be called "death wobble" if your talking about the front wheels hopping till you slowed down.

Tires (balance/rotate/and check for roundness and cupping), shocks, steering damper, swaybar bushings and U clamps.

Reply to
DougW

I took it to work the

tracks the jeep went into

but never having them

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I took it to work the

tracks the jeep went into

but never having them

Reply to
RoyJ

I have seen cases where there was no "source", other than a worn out steering damper. Although this is a good time to give the front end components a complete inspection, don't fret if you don't find anything. Just replace the damper and hope for the best. Caster out of spec. can be a problem too, but that will have a source. Don't forget to look at the springs and spring bushings for abnormal signs.

Earle

runs ok. I took it to work the

tracks the jeep went into

tie rods but never having them

Reply to
Earle Horton

Besides tie rod ends, no one mentioned bad track bar bushings. There is a track bar that goes from the passenger side of the front axle up to the frame on the drivers side. If you watch under the front when someone moves the steering wheel from pin to pin you will see movement in the ends of this if the bushings are gone. it has a tie rod end at the frame side that can go too. Also if you cut the steering side to side when stopped and the nose of the Jeep wobbles side to side, that is a bad track bar end.

Mike

I took it to work the

tracks the jeep went into

but never having them

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks for the replies. I had a mechanic drop by today and look at it. Turns out the shocks are shot and ball joints & tie rods are all still solid, Yea

Reply to
<95YJ