Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Saw an interesting article on the front page of this morning's Sunday paper about the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. Didn't even know it existed.

Looking at cars.com, edmunds.com, consumer reviews are very positive, with people getting an average of 30-35 MPG city/hwy/mixed.

Looks like a nice car, and I plan to have a look at one tomorrow. Anybody with any thoughts about it? Is it nice, is there a long wait to get one from a dealer, are they on 3-6 mo back-order like Priuses? Can you negotiate with the dealer on price, unlike with Priuses?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

Reply to
Michael Reinders

It is a Ford Escape Hybrid.

it's not a car, it's a truck. It is registered like a truck and it meets truck safety standards. It also handles differently than a car.

and I plan to have a look at one tomorrow.

Depends on the supply. I suspect that the price of gas will start going down at the end of the summer and drop pretty far, to around $3 per gallon once the crude oil bubble bursts. If that is the case, it should be easier to get one in the fall. Of course, that is my best guess about what is going to happen.

Check out the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mazda Tribute Hybrid. They're all the same vehicle with different badges. You might be able to get one significantly cheaper than another or with the options you want.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I don't know about your state but in most states, SUVs like the Mariner, Escape and Tribute are registered and insured as cars, not trucks. SUVs like the Mariner, Escape and Tribute must meet the same NHTSA safety standards as cars, as well

Reply to
Mike hunt

That's funny: Ford is listing the Escape with its trucks, not its cars. Why do you think it does that?

Gee, that's just stupid. SUVs have higher centers of gravity and are more likely to roll over than cars. The Feds may soon require stronger roofs for SUVs.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If I'm not mistaking, it's actually a Ford/Mercury with a Toyota Hybrid system... or that was the case when they were first introduced. Considering the reliability of Toyota, I'd say it would be an excellent choice.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Except that is not true, both companies are licensed to the same technology that was developed by both companies via Volvo. Ford system is not the same as used in Toyota hybrids

Reply to
Mike hunt

That's correct.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Obviously the article I read neglected to mention this, particularly the Volvo connection.

I stand corrected, and thanks for the info.

Interesting considering Volvo does not have a Hybrid in their line up to my knowledge.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

The technology came from Volvo around 2001, when Ford bought Volvo.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I bought an Escape Hybrid in Sept and according to the car's computer, i"m getting about 22 MPG combined driving. I do have the 4WD version which isn't as good as the 2WD for milage and I have a bit of a lead foot for acceleration (not so much for top speed). FWIW

I am changing jobs and expect much more highway driving. I am interested to see how that works out. I also wonder if calculating milage with the old fashond fill the tank and reset the odometer method will be better than what the computer states because I think it inadequately accounts for idling with engine off like in a drive through line as opposed to a short stop at a light.

In northern CA at least you can still buy one from dealer stock same day no waiting if you have good credit but don't expect any incentives. Just about every Ford sale does not benefit the Hybrids. If you wanted a deal, you missed it when they sold out the o7's with the old body style last year.

If you just want good highway milage don't bother with the extra expense of the hybrid, just get the 4cyl Escape/Mariner or whatever and save well over a few grand. If you really do a lot of city driving (or stop and go jams) then a hybrid may be an advantage. The first ten or so miles in the morning while it warms up the engine, it will not run in battery mode so very short and infrequent trips also offer little advantage (another factor in my low milage) over a 4cyl engine

They are way greener WRT emissions but only marginally better than a similar weight 4cyl engine car or small SUV and only with the right driving conditions and style. My favorite thing was the CVT trnasmission because it makes the car accelerate very smooth. I'm quite satisfied overall after driving the same Explorer for 15 years.

Reply to
pipedown