Motorists vs traffic cameras

Page 5 of 6
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I'm basing my comments on having driven just about all over the east coast.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

True, but keeping with traffic is safer in probably 99.9% of the cases. Slow drivers can be a hazard. Couple of years ago I wanted to check my fuel mileage by driving the same spot at different speeds. Posted speed limit was 65. At 55, I feared for my life and chose to speed up again to a more normal speed. I'd normally cruise at 70 and go past the radar a couple of times a week like that.
wrote in message

I agree, actually. I'm just pointing out that people in this discussion are describing very different driving environments. I drive quite a bit on the NY State Thruway in Western NY, where the limit is mostly 65 mph. I occasionally see people doing 80+, but for the most part, 70-ish is the norm. On the other hand, when I lived in Long Island and commuted all over the NY metro area, and when (rarely) there weren't traffic jams, it wasn't unusual for all the traffic to be doing 75+ in a 55 zone, so close together that the cars seemed like they were linked together. Going slower was not an option.

Slow is not necessarily safe, and fast is not necessarily unsafe, I give you. Some drivers are unsafe at any speed.
A few weeks ago I came home from Houston just as the heavy weather was blowing in. I passed 12 major accidents in 50 miles, because people would not slow down in the heavy rain. I was running 55-65, as conditions allowed, but was being passed by all sorts of vehicles (most with their lights not turned on) at much higher speeds.
People here tend to hug the center lane, which is not legal but is understandable in heavy rain as the crown holds less water than the outer lane.
The bottom line, for me, is that many Texans are neither trained well as drivers, they do not tend to adhere to safety rules and the state laws, and they tend to be aggressive and inconsiderate. I try to be nontypical of those charges, but make my mistakes as well.
Ron Peterson wrote:

The idea is to generate money. Legislators and attorneys don't give a damn about you and I. They just want our money. That is the real world.
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:03:07 -0700 (PDT), Ron Peterson

Hey Ron, if you believe that then I have this bridge in New York you might be interested in buying. It will pay for itself in tolls in just a few short years. Asking price is less than $5,000,000.00. Email me for details.
On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:03:07 -0700 (PDT), Ron Peterson cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

That's naive.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEwindstream.net

Some laws are bullshit, e.g. some well engineered roads could support much higher speed limits.

Yet, higher speeds mean more fuel used and CO2 generated, and people may not be up to driving at higher speeds, at least with the skills they presently possess.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

If you can't safely drive a modern car at 80 MPH on an Interstate highway under good conditions, you shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car at all. The "skill" required to do so is minimal.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Just get a can of clear high gloss spray Poly or Acrilic finish, spray it on a plate and a Clear Lisence plate cover, the reflection will overexpose the camera at the plate, or you can spend 40$ for a can of the same.
ransley wrote:

Don't you watch those two guys on tv who test myths? That myth was "busted". Cover up your license plate too much and you'll get a ticket for that.

No it doesnt cover anything, its Clear Gloss. as a matter of fact it was maybe Dateline last night that confirmed its the only legal way to ruin a photo. The gloss reflects light to overexpose just the plate. if you make the plate unreadable by your eye that is different.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the time they busted the myth about using "clever" methods to fool hand-held radar guns? Nothing they tired worked, including covering the vehicle in tin-foil.
80 Knight wrote:

No, not about hand held radar guns, "myth busters" was definitly showing you couldn't hide your licence plate from a traffic camera.

I'll have to try to find that one.

This is nothing. You want to worry about cameras? The best is yet to come.
China's All-Seeing Eye With the help of U.S. defense contractors, China is building the prototype for a high-tech police state. It is ready for export. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/20797485/chinas_allseeing_eye/1

I do not care what tactic is used to determine speeders, red light runners, school zone passers, ID picture/video drivers behind the wheel at said infraction, tail-gaters, evasive action taked by drivers trying to avoid such detection by primary and detected by secondary, et al. My only concern that its accurate and doesn't misdetect law abiding drivers doing something that's not true. That is, ALL are innocent until proven guilty.
Film is not used by any light running dectection device that I'm aware of.
Subject to traffic laws in the PUBLIC roadway, all are required to abide by local traffic laws and posted signs. Where is there privacy law in the public domain of the public roadway? The way I see it, the more people push the issue by attempting to circumvent the traffic laws, the more they get "spied" on as a result due to lack of increased likewise traffic control personnel/police to accomodate. They are creating the environment you state in solice as an infringement. These same people made our bed, now we all have to sleep in it..
My fear is only misdetection of innocents by such equipment. But, from my by observation of the world, its not unusual for the bad to take some of the good with them in the real world. A few innocents always pay a price for the many that don't care about their law-abiding highway travelers. Whether is be a so-called "accident" or some malfunctioning equipment meant to find those that choose to disobey traffic law. Welcome to reality, the real world.
Tired of the whining about an imperfect world that same people promulgate that process. Grrow up.
--
Dave
Confront and fight Obama zombieism

Which explains why people were so happy when Bush started to intercept our phone calls, email and other info, as well as find out what library books we read, without telling us.

Who are "they?"
I thought we were the government. What did your representatives and other elected officials say when you mailed them about your concerns? After all, you're the boss.

Maybe that's because it is important to keep both the streets and highways safe.
Jeff
In article

Jeff, ah....did Bush ever intercept any of your phone calls? Who do you personally know that Bush intercepted their phone calls? Who do you DON'T know that Bush intercepted their phone calls? You call yourself educated, I find that extremely difficult to believe Jeff.

--

"It's deja vu all over again"
Yogi Berra