Mustang Starting Problems

I've been having some issues with my electrical system lately in my car. My stereo decides to turn off at will. If i disconnect and reconnect my battery, the radio works fine for a bit, then shuts off eventually. This last time though, I decided to disconnect my negative wire too. Big mistake I guess... After reconnecting the battery, I attempted to start my car. Made a click sound then everything electronic shuts off. Back off the ignition, and my clock would fade back and my capacitor would give me a reading of like 6.5 and slowly climb back into the 9 range. I backed out my dad's car and attached some jumper cables, and after a little waiting the engine turned over just enough to start, but nothing electronic really worked(I didn't check my headlights which i regret not doing now). I waited till this morning, and tried to start it again, this time with a portable battery jumper. The engine made a constant clicking sound, but everything else stayed on(ish). Any ideas on what the problem could be? I took my battery to the local auto parts store and the battery is in good shape, and I have it on the charger as i type this. I'm going to pop it in and see if that helps, and if it starts I'll go get my alternator tested. I've also thought that maybe its my solenoid? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, Rick

Reply to
Rick

Rick wrote in news:87ab0f35-6d91-4863-8547- snipped-for-privacy@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Sounds like a bad connection. Could either be ground or Positive connection. You will need a Voltmeter to check for voltage drops.

Reply to
tango

"Sounds" like typical, decades-long FORD problems with IGNITION and TRANSMISSION systems! Those rhyming problems have ALWAYS plagued Ford -- and Ford owners!

My new 1967 ('67) Mustang exhibited the SAME symptoms described above. The ignition problem was NEVER solved, even after repeated rewirings.

Nothing "positive" ever changes with Fords. Especially with Ford vehicles "made in the USA."

How much quality work can you expect from a 6th grade-educated indifferent fat guy on the line who's making $65.00 an hour including benefits being paid to tighten some bolts?

But, say, Ford fans -- good luck filling up your Expeditions for $120.00 a pop ... you deserve the very best ... from your friendly Ford manufacturer!

Reply to
Kyle Schwitters

I have a 1997 Ford Contour. Never had any problems with the ignition or transmission.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff