My Experience Driving a Chevrolet Traverse

Page 2 of 2
That may be your opinion but that is not what is taught in advanced driving schools. While it is true that one uses a lighter throttle, with a conventional automatic, to get to the a higher gear as the speed increases,
that it not the case with a CVT since a lighter throttle will keep the tyranny it the HIGHER gear range, thus lower torque range, to get the vehicle to the desired speed.
As I said torque is what gets you going and the SOONER you get into the higher range, to sustain the speed desired, the more efficiently the vehicle will be operating.
Most drivers will do what they should be doing, when passing with a CVT, because they are accustomed to depressing the throttle with a conventional tranny when attempting to overtake another vehicle and it automatically drops into a gear with the improved torque needed to overtake another vehicle.

So under your theory, the automakers could be getting BETTER MPG results if they started the CVT at the very bottom end. Yet somehow they have never figured this out and are passing up that great opportunity to get better gas mileage because ALL the automotive engineers except you don't understand how things work.

You are free to believe whatever you choose. However I suggest you do some research before you choose to comment again on a subject of which you obviously have little or no knowledge

On 9/11/10 12:06 PM, Mike wrote:

Why? Clearly you never do.

You should foloow your own advice in this case.
Ed
Ya right.

Speaking as one who has owned 3 cars with CVTs, 2 Altimas and a Rogue, granted they're Nissans, not Chevys, I can say unequivocally that you are full of it. The proper way to drive a CVT is identical to the proper way to drive any automatic. The only car I have ever driven that needed the throttle to the floor when starting out, was the 48 horsepower '79 diesel Rabbit.
On 9/9/10 9:57 AM, in article xvydnaltiuNsaBXRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net,

That may be your opinion but the fact is if you do a search you will discover that CVT drives are nothing new, they have been around in industrial use since the nineteenth century.
The power source was steam until the arrival of electric motors when, because of the fact electric motors develop the greatest amount of torque at start up, they became the preferred power source for CVT drives.

Has it escaped you that steam was the prime mover because that produces maximum torque at startup and no ill effects on stalling, it's superior to ANY other startup device.
At least you understand the need for torque for a CVT, but there was no electricity at the time. When there was it was far less expensive to buy an eclectic motor, than a boiler to produce the steam, and a steam piston engine.
writes

You don't LOL

--
Clive

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 09:34:01 -0400, C. E. White wrote:

Ed's got guts. He *admitted* driving a Chevy!

What the Hell, at least it was only for a week or so. Can you imagine actually BUYING one of those tin boxes and being stuck, for its life..probably all of 5 years, with it?

I would not buy one, but it seemed solid enough. I know plenty of people with 10 and 15 year old Chevys that have many miles on them. I feel certain that the Traverse would last just fine. My SO, who is a commited Toyota owner, claimed she liked the Traverse. I merely thought it was OK.
Ed