Mystery car part on Escape Hybrid

A part fell off my Escape and I'm wondering what it is. It is a plastic part that is glued/taped to the cross member just in front of the bottom of the radiator. There is one on the left side (or
was) and one on the right. The part is a cylinder about an inch long with a half-inch long solid nipple protruding to its rear. It is supported by a small square base that is taped to the frame. There is a 12 mm diameter recess in the front and a small opening in the center of that recess that connects to a 9 mm opening in the bottom of the cylinder. It is not connected via wire or hose to anything else.
I know Ford doesn't pay to put parts in a car that have no function (not deliberately, that is).
Any idea? :-) -- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA
A guard used while the car was in shipment. It should have been removed by the dealership.
mike hunt
Jim Chinnis wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

OR the electric motor

Not so fast....

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote in part:

I can believe that. A fastener for a tarp could have gone in it...
Oh well. I thought it might occupy the great minds here for a whole weekend.
Thanks. -- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA
wrote in part:

got a picture of it ??

Take it back to the dealer. That's what they get the big bucks for.
Jeff