Mystery part.

Hi all,

I ordered a new alloy rim for my 9-3 from partsforsaabs.com the other week. When it turned up, this was in the box with it:-

They didn't charge me for it - it looks like it fell in by mistake. It says Saab on it and has the number 12790319. It looks like a piece of trim to me and the outside surface has a sort of rubbery finish. It's about 18cm long.

Anyone know what it is? Anyone want one?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

This is the CD holder for the universal holder in the 9-3 SS. I personally use mine as a bank. It comes in every sports sedan, as far as I know.

Reply to
Norm Boyce

Thanks for that. I wondered whether it might be for holding a CD, but I couldn't quite believe they'd go to all that trouble for just one CD without a box!

Does anyone (in the UK) want it? I can't see myself ever getting an SS

- I use the hatch too much.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

What's an allow rim ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I'm not sure about allow rims :o)

But an alloy rim is the bit of a wheel that's made of alloy. I'd always been pedantic enough to think it wasn't a complete wheel unless it had a tyre on it. I'm sure there's a can of worms here somewhere...

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

There is.

The rim is the part of a wheel that the tyre makes contact with.

I didn't know you could buy them separately from the rest of the wheel ! ;-)

I still have the faintest idea what it is you originally ordered.

Did you mean you ordered a new alloy wheel ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Yep. That's the one, and since my car doesn't have split rims it's also the part of the wheel that gets bolted to the car. It's all a single casting.

Now we're back to split rims again.

'twas one of these :-

Notice how PartsforSaabs also incorrectly refer to it as a "wheel". Sometimes I think I'm the only soldier at the parade who's marching in-step...

As far as cars are concerned, a wheel is an assembly that includes a tyre. I only ordered the rim. That's my story and I'm sticking to it :o)

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Talk about having a 'split' personality! 8-)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site