OT Oil Shortage

This should explain it all.... A lot of folks can't understand how we came to have an oil shortage here in the good ol' US of A. After all, when we had the first one
back in '73, President Jimmy Carter assured us it would never happen again. Well, there's a simple answer why it has happened again. Nobody bothered to check the oil, and we just didn't know we were getting low. This is, of course, for a purely geographical reason... Our oil is located in Alaska, California, coastal Florida, coastal Louisiana, Kansas, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Texas.... Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington DC!!!!
--
Spike

Jimmy Carter was not President back in '73. Back then, it was Nixon who was President.

The oil companies know their inventory very well. They keep a close eye on it at all times.

And other places as well, like Michigan.

So that is where you live.
Jeff

So what? It's satirical humor, not history... lighten up a little.

rake in per year (which does not mean gouging just in case you started to jump on that, too).
Today we complain (that's a generality) about the lines and the high prices, and everything else, in exactly the same way we did back then.

mentioned? Not so. The vast majority of oil reserves are in the places mentioned. Since it was meant as humor, it was not intended to be exact in the details.

What happened Jeff? Lose your sense of humor at a rest stop? Come on.... Lighten up a mite... it's political satire... and notice please that the "dipsticks" are bi-partisan dipsticks... not just Republicans or Democrats. So it wasn't Jimmy Carter... big deal. It is true that the pundits of the time did say they would fix things so it never happened again... and a lot of those pundits are still in office.
I think if you take a gander, you're the only one who took it serious and went off like a sky rocket in flight...

--
Spike

Not true. There are very few lines for gas. In the 70s, the lines were very long and there were widespread shortages.
We may have complained back then, but we didn't learn to do much about conservation, did we?

The vast majority of oli reserves are outside the US.

I think the problem is that you lost your sense of humor.

That was 32 years ago. Very few of those pundits are still in office. There might be a few congressmen (few congresswomen back then) still in office.

Actually, a sky rockets goes off before it is in flight.
Just don't give up your day job to be a comedian.
Jeff

Are you serious? How many 4 cyl cars were there for sale in the US, prior?
When did the US automakers start on designing for fuel efficiency rather than just smog control?
How did the Japanese get their foothold... and, NO, it certainly wasnt fit and finish!
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, staving off dementia here..DEAL with it!

How many sell. Most people I know still buy big V8's. Sales numbers tell us that the guzzlers are the top sellers.

And people bought the big SUV's instead. Sales numbers tell the story.

Initially fuel economy, correct. Now they're building the bug guzzlers too!
I believe the person with the post was referring to the consumer as "we", not the manufacturers anyway.

I don't see any bugs when I change my air filter. A few on the windshield, sure. but I wouldn't say my car guzzles bugs.

And who buys the big SUVs? We do.
Jeff

Not many. How many V8s are for sale in the US now? A lot.

And what is the CAFE (corporate aveage fuel economy) compared to what it should be? What is the best selling vehicle in the US? A truck that get like 12 mpg.

Price.
Fit and finish is one reason why they sell so much now. They have a better reputation for quality than Ford or GM.
Jeff

hurricane evacuation, whether mandated or voluntary.

small engines. the Mustang IIs, and the Datsuns.
However, as is normal with human nature, over time people forget about bad experiences, like gas lines, and revert to old ways. And those who were too young, or not even born yet have nothing to compare except the stories their parents tell... and who listens to parents?
The biggest change has come in the last decade or so. All those fresh young technos who made a killing and could afford all the toys, with all the bells and whistles.... or at least thought they could. Never mind that many of them are deep in hock. They are the ones who wanted to live like the movie stars and jetsetters.To be the Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and Martha Stewart's of the modern era.
It's like giving a kid a choice, 'Do you want to go to Disneyworld, or do you want to go mow the lawn?'

Mexican, not Canadian. Again, so what? You took a piece of humor and turned it into some kind of classroom lecture.

wonder why you found the need to revert to such self demeaning measures over a joke, dumb or otherwise.

are the one who took it serious and made a big deal out of it.

fault out of embarrassment for not recognizing the joke?
I know when it was, as I was one of many who suffered through long lines and rationing based on a number on my license plate. And when I wasn't dealing with it on a personal level, I was one of many being dispatched to break up fights and control traffic.

The sky rockets to use go off when they reach the designated altitude based on the timing of the fusing.

out once in a while, or has an audience where not everyone gets the joke.

--
Spike

Yet it is many people who grew up after the oil crisis of the 70s who recycle, use solar energy and other green ways.

Mowing the lawn is bad for the environment. Lawn mowers are amoungst the worst polluters when it comes to hyrdrocarbons and other ozone forming gases.

And what is wrong with that? It is an oppurtunity for us to learn.
The reality of it is that the US is not the only country on the planet. And a large portion of out energy comes from overseas.

Now who can't tell a joke?

Oops. My bad. You did figure out it was a joke.

I saw the humor. It just wasn't very funny, IMO.

Thank you for doing a job that helps keep people safe. Law enforcement is an important job, one you should be proud of.

For obvious reasons, I won't give up my day job to become a comedian. Besides, more than enough kids laugh at me in my classroom every day. (They point out that they aren't laughing with me, but they are laughing *at* me ;) ).
Jeff

electric. It could be like the one in my garage. It is people powered.

everything in order to teach, that is just sad. Much like wiping out all humor in the name of political correctness. Just what we need... a well educated but humorless society.

--
Spike
Interesting article regarding running out of oil, I submit it here for your consideration / discussion. It came out between 6 months and a year ago, so it's slightly dated.

I tend to sort of disagree with this.
I think that in the future, people will see that we were short-sighted to burn the oil when it is such an important building block for plastics and other things.
While I agree that there are few substitiutes for oil, there are ways to extand the oil supply, with conservation, building houses so that they need less heat and air conditioning, less energy to heat water, less fossil fuels to make electricity by using solar energy, using public transportation (I usually take a hybrid vehicle - a train - to work), walking to the store instead of driving, etc.
With proper measures, we should be able to greatly decrease our dependence on oil.
Jeff

ducts....
energy efficient homes in the area of insulation, people are actually less healthy because of the lack of air exchange.

There are a lot of geologists who feel that there is far more oil that we think there is. (Better not let that get out or there will be no reason for any conservation.)
--
Spike
Oil shortage? Didn't you see the CEO of chevron or BP or one of them tell congress that we don't have a shortage because they raised prices so not so much oil was used. No kidding, he did say that! They saved us from an oil shortage by bending us over. They are just thinking of us. Its funny they can't seem to explain there record profits other than it is just happened. Same thing with power companies, conserve! conserve! That way we can jack the price up, make less electricity, and still make lots of profit. No need to build more power plants. Works out great for them, lower overhead, good excuse for inflated prices(low supply), and still good profit. Freekin money grubbin criminals.

Spike