Percentage foreign input in a car?

Page 2 of 2
Joseph Oberlander opined in

I TOLD you it was hard!
I grew up near Dayton and almost my whole family is retired from the GM line... and they are healthily in the middle class income bracket.
Remember they were paying mid-level manager wages for factory workers. I took a healthy pay CUT to work at NCR as a computer engineer. Took me 7 years to get to where I WAS at GM.
And they were paying the SAME wages to guys that were building appliances. THAT is why Frigidaire is no longer and independent brand.
Airtemp, Kitchenaid... all the same story.
NOW Ohio has healthy industry from what? Honda! GE engines (troubled) and Lima's Tank and Ford Engine plants
If you dont change - and change ON TIME- you wither and die... simple as that.
A lot of the highly paid factory workers are their own worst enemy's. Many of my family was in the same position as you. Solid income from the factory with outstanding benefits, like tuition refund. But not one of them looked at the past or too the future. All of them felt they would retire from the factories. So not one made even an attempt to have an option plan ( by taking advantage of going to school on the company dollar ) in place if in the event the job was lost. Several did lose those jobs and had no other skills. So they now are working at replacement jobs like Wal-Mart and second jobs. One brother in law did find work in his profession, but at drastically lower income and no benefits to speak of.

Thomas Moats opined in

Fortunately, ALL my family saw it coming... and retired before GM spun off Harrison. They are far better off than I..I'm not so lucky... but I would have probably hung on too long there, too.
Ah, well. Whatever I did wrong is my OWN fault; because I am more intelligent than 9 of 10 of those I worked for. Denial (of ego driven office politics) is a dangerous thing! ;)
Remember this.. REAL liberty of ANY kind is the freedom to make your own successes and mistakes.
You simply CANNOT blame others for your own misfortunes.. sometimes it IS just luck.
The only alternative is AlGore's 1984. [/preach]
You should not blame yourself in the face of corporate GREED. Living in the US, you are probably seeing things from one perspective. For me, living and working in a few of "those" cheap manufacturing countries, I have seen things that would make you puke. Some of the lame brain yahoos in Management who make decisions do so without sound data to back those decisions. It was more like out of spite. Naturally the workers paid in one way or another. You do realize that as soon as those cheap workers get a voice, the companies just pack up and move on to another cheap place/countries.. Years ago that was how it was in the US...the jobs were here..maybe a couple hundred years from now they will return.. sad, really, really SAD.

Corporate greed is right. Why blame the poor worker, they are victimized by corporations like Toyota. Toyota and their dealers charge twenty to thirty percent more for a mid size V6 Camry than Ford does for it large size Taurus, yet Ford has paid millions in US corporate income taxes and Toyota has never paid a cent. Toyotas assembly plants are subsidized by local and state taxes, Ford plants are not. Ford workers are are protected by a union and except for the California GM/Toyota plant Toyota workers are not. Ford workers receive better wages, benefits and pensions than do Toyota workers. Toyota should be ashamed to be taking billions out of the US economy and victimizing it customers, such greed
mike hunt
"V.B. Mercon" wrote:

When Ford builds cars in Germany they employ union workers and pay corporate taxes in Germany, unlike Toyota in the US.
mike hunt
.
Jeff wrote:

Actually, Frididaire has not been an independent brand since 1979 or an independent company since 1919.
Jeff

Tax cuts. Of course, the President thinks rich people need more tax cuts than poor people. Go figure.
Jeff
Jeff opined in

Nice slogan spouting... have you actually LOOKED at the tax cuts? Do you know WHAT income strata pays the bulk of the total tax revenue? How about people getting tax cuts that DONT pay taxes? That was in there too.
How nice and comfortable to just parrot stuff...
You should LISTEN to Limbaugh, you dont have to agree with him, just use what he says to do your OWN research to disprove him. It can be done, he certainly is NOT always "right"... but his stuff is for people to THINK about. You might get the wool pulled from your eyes... at LEAST you'd know what you were talking about.
And Frigidaire WAS an independent brand when GM owned them... had their own design and mfg; now just a nameplate.
The point being that appliance workers were getting paid automotive wages and there was NO way to compete.
hi folks - here are some facts -
when the ford escort came out, the ford motor company announced it as the first "world" car and if you look at the symbol on the fender of that car, it was a globe. why, because the parts were from all over the world. now, how long has the escort been made?
next, it really gets me. i live in a highly union area. i hear these guys complain about how the corp is taking all the money.
so, i indulged into a conversation with one fellow and here's what transpired.
"that company OWES ME. they made 10 billion dollars last quarter and we didn't get any of it. it was my work that made it possible for that 10 billion."
"what do they owe you?"
"part of that 10 billion you dumb ass! can't you see that it was my work that made it possible and those bastards are keeping the money and screwing the worker and are you just f--king blind!"
"ok, let's see if i got this right? you work and they pay, right?"
"yeah"
"how long have you worked there?"
"37 years"
"and have they EVER missed paying you?"
"no!"
"so, you worked and they paid you for what you worked. do they owe you any back pay?"
"no"
"then what do they owe you?"
"can't you see!!!! they made 10 billion dollars last quarter and we didn't get any."
"do you own stock in the corp?"
"no"
"but you want part of that 10 billion?"
"yes!!"
"so, you don't own shares, and you want a piece of the pie. what would happen if they would have lost 10 billion dollars last quarter? would you jump up and say - give me some of that?"
"well, no"
"so, i will ask you again. why do you feel that they owe you?"
"because they made 10 billion dollars!!! are you stupid are what!!!!"
at that point, i turned around a walked away.
draw what conclusion you want.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
The 'poor' got a greater tax cut than the rich. Most 'poor' had their tax rate cut by at least 1/3 with many dropping completely off the tax rolls in the latest tax cut. Those with children did even better. Of course the 'rich' received more 'dollars' since they pay more of them and they do it at a higher rate to boot. History proves that tax rate cuts produce more income to the government, not less. It happened when the Democrat controlled Congress cut rates during President Kennedy's term and when the Democrat controlled Congress cut rates during President Reagan's term. The same will happen now that the Republican controlled Congress cut rates during President Bush's term. Conversely history shows the income to the government slows when tax rates are raised. As it did under Johnson, Bush 1 and Clinton when they raised taxes. Search www.Loc.gov for the particulars WBMA.
mike hunt