foreign body in engine oil - advice please

You know how some oil comes with a thin foil under the cap? Well, while changing the oil in I think I allowed a piece of that protective foil into the engine! It just went in as I was pouring the oil in. I saw a sliver flash go into the damn funnel and before I knew it, it was too late to grab it!

I couldn't see anything in there after looking around for a while with a flashlight. My thought is to just use the vehicle for a week or so, and then change the filter/oil again. The filter should trap that should it? After all, that is why we use oil filters right?

Should I worry about this guys?

Thanks!

Reply to
Brad

Depends on the surface area of the foil. If it's small, it might pass through the suction screen on the oil pickup, pass through the pump and lodge in the filter. If the piece is larger, it would probably just adhere to the screen on the oil pickup and never make it through the pump to the filter. Of course, this will cause a restriction at the pickup screen the severity of which will depend on the size of the piece. John

Reply to
John Kunkel

Pull a the corresponding valve cover and remove the offending piece. (Assuming it is the entire little foil thing). I would say if it is larger than 1/4 of the foil cap that you should probably remove it as soon as you can.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Yeah, it's about 1/2 of the damn foil. I have never taken apart the valve cover before. The most I have done is change the spark plugs.

Do you think this is something I'll need to have done?

Reply to
Brad

Forgot to mention, this is on a 2001 Grand AM.

Reply to
Brad

If it makes its way down to the oil pan it should come out on a oil change. Aluminum foil wont break down in there. Worst case this foil would cause is if it fell on a lifter oil passage and thats not to likely. Just let it go, it will come out or be chewed up or just floot in the pan for all eternity.

Reply to
Bonnevilles r Kewl