Foreign Car Import

It looks like I may be importing a an old car from abroad. I was wondering if any of you have any experience doing so? The basic reading of the law if I understand it is that if a car is over 25 years old it's not that big of a deal to get it into the US. I was hoping that maybe some of you may have some first hand experience.

BTW: It's not a VW, but I don't imagine that matters.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Ben Boyle

Excellent choice! I'm sorry I can give you any help on your importing problem, but I want to say that citroen 2CV are way cool and it's a car with lots of personality. Here in Europe were always a big success and an oltimer classic. Enjoy it!

Ant

Ben Boyle wrote:

Reply to
Ant

I completely agree that 2CV's are way cool cars. They were designed with the French farmer in mind, and the one-page design spec is reflected in many aspects of the car. Lore has it, for example, that the soft suspension allowed one to carry loads of eggs, and the high roof accomodated a top hat. Also, they all come with a fabric roof that comes off if one takes the time. The fabric roof, together with the cheapo plastic panels, dashboard mounted stick shift, clunky ignition lock (three exposed solder-on terminal on the back, start with screwdriver), the weird door locks and most of all the possibility to crank the engine with a handle if the starter ever fails, make that even the Dianes seem a little less modern than the VWs, but in the end I have the impression they're very similar.

My family drove a bright green Diane 6 (the expanded 70s version of the 2CV) for years, which held up really well except for the brakes. We lived on a hill and the car would stand only of two of the three conditions (1) brake, (2) handbrake, and (3) car in gear were satisfied, which my mother got around by performing an interesting kind of dance on the pedals and not parking to closely in front of the neighbours' Alpha Romeo.

Reply to
Jaap Weel

Try this.

I imported a 73 RHD from England through the military so it was prettyeasy. But this should answer any questions you may have."Dan" (quotes for Joey, cause he likes me)

Reply to
EuroBug