car radio + USB input

All,

I'm no longer interested in playing CDs in the car. Hardly ever play them at home for that matter.

I want a high quality radio with a USB input for MP3 music from a USB stick. Do they exist (in standard ISO radio size) ? Are they cheaper than radio / CD ?

Thanks

Reply to
Fred

there are loads, just do a search for car radio with usb this one is 26 quid:

?srcid=198 although this at 57 would be a nicer bet:

Mrcheerful

We picked up a Kenwood CD / USB player for the daughter and I found a

*tiny* 16G USB stick to go in it and she has all she needs on that (the stick stays in the removable facia).

In fact, I'm not sure if she's ever used the CD part (even though that also plays mp3s).

Not tried DAB in a car yet so not sure if they would be considered 'high quality' over FM?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I bought a Wharfedale ICS182 for about 35 quid on eBay.

It's a radio / cd head unit, with front USB and AUX as well as read AUX and it's also a bluetooth hands free kit, complete with bluetooth audio streaming if you have a bluetooth phone.

It's currently living in my MX5, as it doesn't really matter if someone decides to nick it when I park up with the roof down.

Reply to
SteveH

Thanks for the replies.

It's now got me thinking that maybe DAB + AM + FM + USB input maybe the way to go if reasonably available. (As previously stated, CD is now of little interest.)

I hope DAB car radios work better than at home where the DAB signal seems very marginal, though it shouldn't be.

I'll take a trip down the local Halfords and car accessory shop.

Cheers

Reply to
Fred

I have a Pure Highway in the company Golf (it came with Dynaudio, but you could only have DAB at the expense of the reversing camera, strangely!) - the windscreen 'ribbon' aerial is useless, but the short magnetic 'whip' you can stick on the roof works really well.

If it were my own car, and I were buying now, I'd buy a DAB head unit with appropriate permanent aerial.

Reply to
SteveH

I have a 'proper' DAB roof aerial - which also does AM and FM. Has two downleads and two head amps built in - one of which requires a separate power lead. The DAB head amp is line powered via its co-ax. It cost more than many radios complete - but does work very well. Around London, DAB reception is much superior to FM on the stations I listen to - most noticeable beside tall buildings in the City or under bridges etc where it remains rock solid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Halfords will be about twice the price of others. Try others e.g.

Though you you would be as well to ring them up and ask about any other bits you might need - like a wiring adapter for steering wheel controls. I found them very helpful.

Reply to
JMB

To be honest I'm not impressed with the usability and sound quality of the non-DAB version of that radio.

For instance, if you are in menus twidling around trying to find media, tone settings and the like - the system blocks all use of the volume control until ye come out of the menu. Which is pretty annoying if ye have to do that immediately for some reason.

I get better sound quality plugging things (phones, MP3 players) into the AUX-in socket, than listening to the internal DAC distorting either CDs or MP3s on USB memory sticks. Pretty complicated 'parametric' tone control filters don't do much to help.

Chances are the £100 premium on the DAB version doesn't fix this :-(

Avoid.

Reply to
Adrian C