Re: electronic throttle

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

All four wheels don't lock at the same time, the ones with greater brake force do (front ones) then the ABS operates before you can even think "holy Shit". Try buying a workshop manual showing how these things work before showing your ignorance again.
--
Clive

It depends a lot on the model. Early systems did indeed release all brakes simultaneously. Later ones handled front and back differently. Many of the newer ones deal with each wheel independantly.
Early ABS was really dreadful and much less effective than just properly feathering the brakes. Newer ABS systems are a lot better than that.
Mind you, I'm still driving a car without ABS and I am just fine with it, and I know pretty well how it handles when it skids. Then again, It doesn't snow much here, and I have good tires.
Frankly, putting money into better tires is probably more effective than putting it into braking control systems. But it's less sexy. --scott

On 12 Mar 2010 18:50:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Not much snow here this year either. About half the average - which is half what we got last year. I'll agree though - tires are more important than ABS.
Some older vehicles, by the way, had rear ABS only. And then there was 3 channel - rear was one channel, and each front another. Virtually all today are 4 channel.
My PT cruise has no ABS. Wife's Mystique has ABS and full time traction control.. Both have the same Graspic Ice and Snow tires. The cruiser stops better in the slop than the Mystique.

I've got the factory manual for all my cars - and I'm a mechanic too. It IS POSSIBLE to lock all 4 wheels at once on a slick surface. I've done it on my '95 Pontiac - it didn't know what to do. The brakes chattered like crazy, but the car (van) didn't slow down at all. Eventually one wheel caught some traction. THAT put the van into a skid.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

I've never had a car without the workshop manual, (I have been refused a few times (VW) but it's amazing what walking away from the salesman will produce.).
--
Clive

On 03/13/2010 10:45 AM, Clive wrote:

typically the VW Bentley manuals are $100 or less and are readily available through aftermarket channels, so I wouldn't consider that a deal killer. IME it's the American ones that are expen$ive.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel