Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 1 of 2
That may be your opinion but even those lousy mangers you say are now in charge are managing to sell more vehicles in this county than any other..
The best any import brand can do is end up in fourth place with a paltry 11% of the market. Even the other two domestic brands sell a lot more. ;)
mike hunt

While Honda actually does build cars in the US with mostly US parts, they are the only foreign manufacture that does. Toyota does not. Look at the first number of the VIN as proof. A '1' indicates made in the US of mostly US parts. Not one single Toyota, except for those built in the GM/Toyota plant in California exhibit a '1.' A 'J,' '4' and '5' what you will see on most Toyotas which indicates the are made in Japan or only assembled in the US of mostly imported parts.. It was Hondas complaint to the FCC that led Toyota to now advertise that their cars are 'assembled in the US of world sourced parts.'
mike hunt

You can easily stop in at your local dealer and look at the VIN numbers on the vehicles. ;)
mike

The first digit of the VIN on a Camry, Sienna or a Tundra and you will discover it is a 'J,' '4,' or '5' not a '1.' A '5' means it is only assembled in the US of less than 40% American parts. If what you are suggesting were true the first number, by law, would be a '1.' Look at an Accord, it is a '1,' as are the vast majority of domestics The Carmys made in Japan display the same parts content label even though it list the origin of the engine and tranny as made in Japan. How can that be possible?
mike hunt

but it IS amazing how they, Honda, Toyota, etc. can build a decent car with US labor. Why not GM... gets back to management and unions I guess.

IF one believes a 4cy Camry is a 'decent' car The fact is GM sells a lot more cars than Toyota or Honda. That should tell you which cars buyers think are decent cars. ;)
mike hunt

Toyota is currently offering rebates and other incentives, but buyers keep buying these domestic vehicle that you say are no good. Obviously the people that buy them do not agree with your personal opinion. They believe that what they buy is better than what you buy.
I use to buy imports as well because I keep reading how much better they were. What I discovered was they were not better, just more expensive to buy, maintain, repair and replace. I went back to domestics in 1999 and guess what, I discovered they are just as good as the imports I had owned, but less expensive to buy, maintain, repair and replace. ;)
mike hunt

How many people has GM laid off? Must be something to do with "losses."

If you don't agree with one of the BIG 3, you must be biased... that's a great marketing strategy... heh.

I don't believe that selling the most cars makes you the best product... marketing, "buy American" campaigns, etc. all push to market share. A great product would certainly be helpful, but I don't think GM has that great of a product... Selling more product may just mean your older lines just wore out quicker, folks don't keep them long... Maybe the Vette, but that's not comparable to a camry anyway... 4cyl or 6cyl. ;-)
I do like the lines on the new Impala, it's really pretty, but lost the muscle.

I guess you believe that explain why think the Camry is the best selling mid size sedan? LOL
mike hunt

Both are too small for me! I have 6 children... we fit in our clubwagon good though... btw: one on the way now. :-)

But US labor does build decent cars for ford, gm, and DC. Jeez, I'll be as hard on GM as anyone for their interior quality, inferior styling, 'fun to drive' and handling... but the fact is there's little difference in reliability between the manufacturers, and if THAT is your only concern, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a GM car. It's the other, and far too often intangible, factors that spoil the GM cars. JP

Mike, You'll disagree with everything, won't you! :) GM's market share has been falling - it's a fact. The managers that are there did not MAKE GM number one. that's what you contended, and it's wrong. GM is number 1 in sales in the US, but the people there aren't responsible for it. JP