Silent recall on 2001+ Taurus/Sable

Ford has a 'silent' recall on 2001-2003 Taurus/Sables. It's to fix a leaking cowl. This is where the air for the heating/AC comes in. The leak will let water get into the fan, and then into the car.

Some details here:

Andrew Rossmann

If they don't send out letters it isn't a recall. What your talking about is a TSB or similar fix to a problem that exists on some vehicles.

It sounds like it is a sealing problem and they surely wouldn't issue a recall for a leak.

Reply to
Scott

This is not a recall at all. There is a Service Bulletin that describes a problem that affects some Taurus/Sables built after 5/1/2001. For vehicles that have the problem described (BODY - WATER LEAK - WATER IN BLOWER CASE OR COWL AREA WATER LEAK) there is a revised gasket and a procedure for installing the gasket. If you don't have the problem, you don't need the revised gasket. Ford does not try to hid TSBs, so anyone with a computer can learn about this particular bulletin. You should contrast this behavior with Honda's recent attempts to restrict access to their service bulletins, or Toyota's practice of denying that they have any problems and leaving it up to the poor technicians to figure out how to fix them. Anytime you are concerned that there may be secret or hidden service bulletins for your car, go to the NHTSA site and do a check. Not only do they list recalls and service bulletins, for Fords, they also list SSMs (special service messages) - see

. A 2001Taurus has 66 entry in the NHTSA database. A 2001 Honda Accord has 157. Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Define recall. Define service bulletin. A service bulletin is a updated procedure to fix or modify a problem discovered after the car was built. And though it may be a know problem, its not necessarily a "Free" repair.

Now, the "We will repair it free only if you know the secret handshake stuff". What do you call that? Silent recall. A way to appease some Pissed off customers without the liability of a major full scale recall. If you ask and qualify, you get it, free. Otherwise, tough luck. Many silent recalls eventually turn into full scale recalls when enough public pressure is put on them..

In this case, if the water gets into the blower case and causes fires in the cabin do to motor failure, ford has a MAJOR liability issue. Is it now? time will tell. And maybe they are testing a fix to see how it works BEFORE a full scale national recall.

I have been through this crap before with the subframe recall in the Taurus. Started out a "limited Silent recall in selected states", and turned into a national one for the most part. I tried to get it done on my car when it first came out,

only to be told I did not qualify in Nebraska because it was not one of the "High Salt States". And they denied it even existed until i recited the bulletin number. Ha, they obviously have not seen how much salt is on the roads here in the winter. I complained to the NHTSA. Low and behold, later it was national. Funny how that happens.

Blueoval news is a great no bull source of Ford information. Its amazing some of the stuff that ford has got by with that you never here about in the general media. You could be driving a ticking bomb and ford would not even tell you about it. Of course, its not just ford.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

My '94 T-Bird has 97 entries. My '95 E150 has 10 entries. I queried quite a few of the entries (20-25) and in all cases but one, the queries returned with a "No document found". Not real helpful.

Reply to
getupand

Reply to
AZGuy

what's the deal??????? I have a 1999 Taurus p.o.s. that has been leaking water since 1 month after the warranty ran out. I'm happy they acknowledge a problem with the 2001 + up, but what about us poor suckers that own one of these things with a problem they don't acknowledge???? I am now on my 2nd replacment heater motor from a scrap yard ($35.00) since a new one at the dealer is a rediculous $95.00 this is something I think for should fix for me at no charge since they built this p.o.s. I'm sorry to say if it weren't for this problem I would have been very happy with this car!!!! Thanks, Dennis can I get help somewhere on this????

Reply to
99sks

what's the deal??????? I have a 1999 Taurus p.o.s. that has been leaking water since 1 month after the warranty ran out. I'm happy they acknowledge a problem with the 2001 + up, but what about us poor suckers that own one of these things with a problem they don't acknowledge???? I am now on my 2nd replacment heater motor from a scrap yard ($35.00) since a new one at the dealer is a rediculous $95.00 this is something I think for should fix for me at no charge since they built this p.o.s. I'm sorry to say if it weren't for this problem I would have been very happy with this car!!!! Thanks, Dennis can I get help somewhere on this????

Reply to
99sks

There is not such thing as a silent warranty repair. Manufactures voluntary warranty extensions are widely distributed in the media and on line. If they were secret how would anybody know the warranty extension existed? The average new car buyer in the US replaces their vehicle in three or four years, at about

45 to 60 thousand miles. If you expect any manufacture to fix your vehicle for free past the warranty mileage/date, you should have considered purchasing an extended service plan or purchased a vehicle that offers a longer warranty. The majority of manufactures offer a 3/36 warranty, some offer a 4/50, 7/70 and even 10/100. Even if you bought it used, you could have purchase a long term used car warranty.

mike hunt

99sks wrote:

since 1 month after the warranty ran out. I'm happy they acknowledge a problem with the 2001 + up, but what about us poor suckers that own one of these things with a problem they don't acknowledge???? I am now on my 2nd replacment heater motor from a scrap yard ($35.00) since a new one at the dealer is a rediculous $95.00 this is something I think for should fix for me at no charge since they built this p.o.s. I'm sorry to say if it weren't for this problem I would have been very happy with this car!!!! Thanks, Dennis can I get help somewhere on this????

Reply to
BenDover

It's a car, they break. So no deal.

warranty ran out. >I'm happy they >acknowledge a problem with the 2001 + up, but what about us poor suckers that own one of these things >with a problem >they don't acknowledge????

Its a 99, Thats 4 years soon to be 5, and out of warranty, how long do you want the manufacturer to back the car? As long as you own it?

new one at the dealer is a rediculous >$95.00

I'll bet if you went to NAPA or simular parts store, you would have been able to buy a NEW motor with a warranty that would cost less in time money and labor than your two junk yard parts.

this p.o.s.

Why? It's your car and it's out of warranty. They do have a time limit you know.

with this car!!!! Thanks, Dennis can I get help somewhere on this????

Reply to
Thomas Moats

I assume you are talking about - "99E04 AUG 99 Recall - Transmission Harness Rerouting"

This was a recall - but not a safety recall. It was an emissions system recall. I guess since it wasn't a TSB and it wasn't a safety recall, NHTSA ignored it. EPA maintains a separate site for emission recalls. See

. Here is the text of the recallfrom Ford:

Subject: Emissions Recall 99E04 - Certain 1999 Mustang GT Vehicles with

4.6L 2-Valve Engines - Transmission Control Wiring Harness Rerouting

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Certain 1999 Mustang GT vehicles with 4.6L 2-valve engines built at the Dearborn Assembly Plant from Job #1 through July 2, 1999

REASON FOR RECALL

In some of the affected vehicles, the transmission control wiring harness may be routed too close to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) sleeve and tube. If the harness comes in contact with the sleeve and tube, damage to the wiring harness convolute and wires could occur. This damage could cause powertrain and emission control concerns such as:

illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) the engine will not start the transmission will not up-shift SERVICE PROCEDURE

To correct this condition the dealer will inspect the affected vehicles and reroute the transmission control wiring harness.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White