Stumbling 99 Escort

I have a 99 escort that stumbles on gentle acceleration but not on hard acceleration. I have changed plugs, fuel and air filters. I have been told this is a common problem with 2 litre SPI escorts. Any one else have this
kind of problem and how did you resolve. BTW - The check engine light is not coming on.
Thank you all for your help.
Make sure that the pcv vacuum hose assembly is in good shape , because the rubber thats used to make the elbow peices is where they get soft and cave in , causeing a vacuum leak.