The 5 most overpriced vehicles

Page 2 of 2
Whitelightning wrote:

Not sure; I will look for signs of it.

Excellent point.
Bill
Aren't ALL cars overpriced. ;-)

Nomen Nescio wrote:

Not sure why they list the Durango. The MSRP might be overpriced but Dodge almost always has $4,000-$6,000 rebates. Mine stickered at 34K and I bought it for 24K which to me was a great price for a 4x4 Hemi SLT Durango.

But is would sure suck at 34K sticker price. My guess is that is what they mean.
At work, we recently bought an F-250 4WD and plow package for 25K. Sticker was 30ish before the plow.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I haven't bought a new vehicle in a LONG time, so I am not well informed. Do you not get nailed sales tax on the rebate amount? That would irritate me worse than itching powder - hand me my own money back minus 7-10%.
Bill
wrote in message

The rebate can be assigned to the dealer and it just becomes a discount on the vehicle, thus no sales tax on that portion. 10%? What state is that? I certainly don't want to live there.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Sorry, just guesstimating for counties like the one that surrounds my place of work. They'd tax the air we breathe if they could; yes, I do struggle with whether I should move out of it. If you will forgive the political semi-rant, consider that the states that do not have a sales tax of 7% or more, make up for it by taxing income, and that counties (and probably cities???) add their own sales taxes.
I actually prefer sales taxes to the alternatives, because they get in the buyer's face. Add up what you pay to government in income, payroll, property and sales taxes, then throw in some of the fees and the items utilities say that "your local government _asks_[*] that you _contribute_..." All of that says nothing of the costs imposed on us by government regulation; that's not all bad, but it is out of control. It strikes me that we have an obligation to over-estimate the cost of government, because government does everything it can to hide what it takes from us. At the federal level, they/we spend three TRILLION dollars per year.
One thing that would help deobfuscate the cost of government would be the FairTax. It won't fix the spending, but it would bring the tax man out into the open. Hopefully then, the people paying the tab would start pressuring their representatives to cut the largess.
[*] try saying 'no' sometime - then you will discover it is yet another tax.
End of rant. Happy New Year!
Bill

Rant on if you want. I don't mind paying a fair tax for services, but I don't want to pay for all the waste and pork around.
You forgot the "tax the business" that is so popular. When given a choice,, people will support an added tax as long as it is on the local businesses, not on them. They forget that businesses don't pay any taxes. They just pass that along with the price of goods sold and the consumer still pays in the end.
In our state (CT) we also pay a personal property tax on our cars. Value is based on book value, not condition or actual value. No pay, no registration.
Edwin,

Agreed. Though I add that frequently government has a loose way of deciding which services to provide. My city made a big thing of canceling its New Year's Eve celebration. To their credit, they did cancel it. If the businesses in their little downtown panacea (complete with high prices, limited hours of operation, poor selection, lousy roads, and insufficient parking - you have to know the area or just take my word for it<g>) want to pay to attract people, let them dig into their own pockets and raise their already bloated prices. Again, I am forced to give the city credit for (no doubt grudgingly) taking a stance approximating that. Our county would simply let roads go to even further toward hell and raise property taxes to cover it. That would be in addition to the extra gasoline tax, purportedly for roads, gets wasted on who knows what. I said I would stop ranting ;)

You sound like you might already be aware of the concept, but just in case, have a look at:
http://www.fairtax.org
It's not just a fair tax; it's the FairTax. Government would still be out of control, but I think it would help Joe Average start to see just how much he's paying for the free lunch at Uncle Sam's Grill. That in turn should cramp the career politician's life style.
Bill
Nomen Nescio wrote:

Yet only one of these vehicles is a car.
Jeff

Hadn't you heard... anything with four wheels is a car.
2 cents worth:
trucks generally have a much higher mark-up than passenger cars.......worst I ever had was a Jeep Wrangler: a fortune for what is essentially a metal box with a motor (and a piece of junk)
likewise, anything from Germany is marked-up far beyond what its price class is in its homeland, whereas some imports like Volvo sell close to what they go for in their native county.
when a car is redesigned, you get to pay for all the new engineering, tooling, etc: witness the Mustang - no way to justify the price considering the content (heh, for $36,000 couldn't I have a light in the glove compartment, automatic air or an interior trunk release?) But when a car goes on forever, like the Grand Marquis, those costs are long charged off. Overpriced? My brother got a leftover '06 Grand Marquis Ultimate in Sept '06 for less than $23,000.......yes, it's a tank and not very space efficient, but he got it for a highway cruiser....it gets 20+ mpg in town and 25 on the highway. The rip-off is the Lincoln Town Car: back seat stretched a couple inches....same quality leather, same door panels, same plastic everywhere, same ride, no quieter, same engine, etc......and $20,000 more. Or the MKZ: Mazda designs it and builds it in Chicago.....it gets good reviews so Ford sends a set of tooling to Mexico and makes Ford, Mercury and Lincoln versions and charges more for them despite fractional labor costs.....the Zephyr sells well enough to merit it's own dash panel, so they change the name and raise the price some more. Then there's that little Ford with the big grill they're passing off as a Lincoln - now advertising the heck out of on tv as being so silent you can't hear the tree falling in the forest. Got a ride in my neighbors: guess what? It's a crummy little truck with leather seats: noisy like a truck, rides like a truck, handles like a truck. Henry Leland must be spinning.
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

I paid what I was willing to pay when I got my 2004 F-150 and do not consider that I paid more than it was worth at the time. I got good money for my trade-in and a discount on the new truck that was better than I expected to get.
You comment above is exactly correct. Once the buyer and seller reach argreement and the sale occurs, the vehicle was not overpriced.