The new Dodge Charger cop car

Page 1 of 2
Hello all:
I got a shock looking at blueovalnews.com today, the new Charger cop car is almost ready to hit the streets...rear wheel drive, 340 hp and lots
of goodies. Why on earth doesn't Ford put the 5.4L in the Crown Vic? I remember a thread a while back on cop car motors- I hope Ford comes up with a super car to compete with this, because it seems to me this could be some serious competition for them.
BTW, I have a '99 E350 with the 5.4 and I love it, I'm just curious, is any 5.4 the "Triton" engine? Is that just a name, or is there a significant difference in design from the 4.6L? I don't know much about the 5.4 and 6.8s.
Chris
Chris Nagorka wrote:

The higher cylinder deck height of the 5.4 causes interference with the cowl/firewall.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

But the 4.6 DOHC fits just nice.
HMmmmm, 340 HP - 390 TQ I wouldn't mind having that under the hood.

Maybe Ford would be happy to have somebody to share the lawsuits with. Given the results of many high-speed chases, I'm not sure many city governments will be all that eager to give cops more horsepower.
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:12:28 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Neill Massello) wrote:

You do understand that all the lawsuits with the CV are from high speed rear-end collisions that happen with the CV is stopped, right?
Nothing to do with horsepower.
Chris Nagorka wrote:

We service thousands of police vehicles, in our fleet service business, for state and municipal police department in six eastern states. Not all police vehicles are used as highway patrol units or even as patrol vehicles for that matter. HP is not a criteria for them, durably is important in vehicles used for highway patrol since those vehicles accumulate high, hard use, mileage. Although the current Dodge and Chevy police units are not as cost effective overall, because they are FWD, many large and particularly small Departments are utilizing the V6 units to save on fuel costs in those vehicle used for lessor work. Ford at anytime can offer a competitive, off the shelf 400 HP engine, below the cost of the Dodge if the demand is there.
mike hunt
Chris Nagorka wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Which 400 hp engine would that be?
Ed
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:45:23 -0500, "C. E. White"

lmfao exactly HOW are ford more cost effective ? ever see a cop car after 60k?
pull out an axle and LOOK
CV are deathtraps for pigboys thats why i like them
useless vehicle for useless people ever notice how pigboys FAIL to reduce the crimerate yetalways get more money ??
hmmmmmm
hurc ast
INSTEAD OF OPENING YOUR MOUTH AND POURING OUT DRIVEL, HOW ABOUT BACKING UP YOUR STATEMENTS ??? ONE TIME IS ALL WE NEED. IT WAS SO NICE OVER THE WEEKEND WHEN YOUR MOMMY WAS HOME AND YOU WERE AFRAID TO GO ON THE COMPUTER.

u go girl there is a recall
hurc ast
ok, so i ask you again. prove it asshole. there has not been a racall on a ford crown vic in over 15 years. if you are so smart, give us a recall # and prove us all wrong, and vindicate yourself.. the challenge is on the table. put up or shut up.

tom wrote:

If I recall correctly, There was a recall on certain CVs for cracked welds on the frame. I don't have the number, Probably 01-S-xx. It came out not long before April,2001.
actually tom ,it was a cosmetic crack on the rear frame rail between the rear and bumper, it did not effect anything. the repair was to smear some jb weld in the area and repaint.

tom wrote:

I don't remember the particulars but the one I'm thinking of required welding or even frame replacement if the cracks were found. I THINK the cracks were near rear suspension mounting points. I only saw a couple of the covered vehicles and no cracks,so it IS possible that my memory is faulty. If you have access to recalls lists,could you check it out? I would like to know just to satisfy my own curiousity. The more I think about it, it's possible that it was a Broadcast Message dealing only with a few vehicles? I just remember the other Techs all groaning and bitching about it.
Those that bad mouth the CV have no idea what they are talking about. It is not unusual to see CVs in the NYC taxi fleet with well over 600k on the clock. Nothing on the market today even comes close to the CV & GM in value for the dollar. ;)
mike hunt
tom wrote:

tom wrote:

From Alldata for a 2001 Crown Victoria (civilian and Police)
TSB Number Issue Date         TSB Title 01S21        JUL 01 Recall - Outboard Seats Belt May Not Fully Latch 00S54 DEC 00 Recall - Restraint Control Module Inspection 00S26 SEP 00 Recall - Personal Safety (Restraint) System Defect
From NHTSA (for Police Interceptor model)
Make : FORD Model : CVPI Year : 2001 Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 02I003000 Recall Date : SEP 27, 2002 Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY Potential Number Of Units Affected : 350000
Ed
the gas tank tsb was dropped after a video was shown to a federal grand jury showing a mechanic welding a steel bar in the trunk so it would puncture the gas tank in the crash tests the town was doing to prove the cars were dangerous. as far as the tsb's go, i was refering to safety recalls like the chevy with the cracked frame, or the dodges with the wheels that fall off after 20k miles because the ball joints fall apart. not bs like a seatbelt that may not connect after it has been used 5,000 times. and no disrespect to all of you that have responded and emailed me, i was refering to our "expert service tech " when i posted that challenge.