Want to choose discrete options, not packages

Page 3 of 4

Back to the thread, nope, they don't always buy what they want. They pick a car and pretty much have to take what is offered. Sometimes it is attraction, sometimes it is the lesser of evils.
What do you actually do for GM, Mike?
I have nothing to do with GM today, except own a bunch of their stock. I'm eighty years old and have been retired for a long time. My engineering degree is in metallurgy. I did work for GM, as a design engineer, when I graduated from college after WWII. After my stint there I worked as a field engineer in VWs short lived assembly plant in Pennsylvania, until it was unceremoniously shut down . I worked as a design engineer for Ford until I retired in 1986. After that I was Group Sales Manager for one of the largest mega dealership groups on the east cost. We sold just about every brand on the market. During that time I started a fleet service business, with a moneyed partner, that serviced thousands of vehicle for corporate and government fleets in six states. I had to buy out my partner in 1990, when the techs decided to join the Machinist Union, because he wanted nothing to do with a Union. Having our techs join a union turned out to be the best thing that ever happen to the business. I sold out to an investment group and retired to do what I do now an that is to try to spend all my money before I die. LOL
mike hunt

> On 5/19/2006 5:41 PM ... snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Speed-sensitive radio volume level control is another one. GM goes overboard with the useless gimmicky stuff. Since most (if not all) are not options, one can't order a vehicle without those annoyances.

It is only useless to someone who refuses to use it. How can it be an "annoyance" if you have it turned off? Actually, it's one of those "gimmicks" that works very well.
Dave

Agreed. I like it in my car.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

BUT, my one gripe with Ford right now is that you can't get the 41G package on the base Standard Crown Vic, it has to be a LX.
Rob
Buy a base Mercury GM and save yourself some money, WBMA
mike

On Fri, 19 May 2006 12:24:45 -0400, trainfan1

Sounds a lot like my complaint about the cable tv company. 100 channels and I watch maybe 6, but the ones I watch are in the "expanded" basic package.
Just a ploy to get you to move up...
--
Spike
I believe that's an issue with some, not all car companies. It must be less expensive for them to do it this way.

Of course it is less expensive to come out with standard models and a few 'packages'. No doubt about it.
I and remember when the options were radio, heater, and white wall tires.
Later, automatic trannies became availble.
And then air conditioners.
Who knows where it will all end?? ;>)
It sure is a lot different from years ago. DVD, Entertainment Systems and now to top it all off, the new Dodge caliber has a place to keep your drinks chilled.
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
> On 5/20/2006 6:33 PM ... NJ Vike wrote:

Useless. A standard cooler is more practical since it's portable.
jcr wrote:

I actually think the cooler glovebox is a pretty cool idea. I would definitely use it if I had one. It's not always convenient to keep a chilled cooler in the car.
I do it all the time with the cars I buy. I no longer buy imports and all of the domestic offer free standing options that can be added to packages. The problem I have is with what is standard that can not be deleted. My latest car has side air bags, something I would never order. DRLs are another problem on some brands, it costs one extra money to disable them Both of my current cars have anti-lock brakes that can not be disabled, as can the traction assist. I have to spend money to install a disabler. Both have auto up, and down, windows but only one has a single button to operate them all. I spent extra money to install a one button operator on the other. ;)
mike hunt

. DRLs are

DRLs equate to a auto insurance discount with some companies. Why would you want to do away with a 5 percent discount on insurance ?
Because that is not the case in any state of which I an aware and according to the US Senate Transportation Committee determination DRLs can cause more accidents they may prevent. That is why they are not required in the US.
mike hunt

Sounds like another way to sell us something. Why not run lights in the day and night ;-)
--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.
New York State with State Farm Insurance, a national company.

On Sat, 20 May 2006 10:09:35 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Just because they aren't required doesn't mean you can't have them. My DRLs don't bother me since I'm not looking AT the front of my vehicle. Not to mention that my car also helps to keep me from being forgetful (not lazy) when I have to have my wipers on, my state requires headlights when using wipers, my car turns the headlights on when the wipers have been on for 30 seconds and then off when the wipers have been off for 10. This isn't a DRL feature, but it's another whiz-bang, golly-gee electronic gizmo that wasn't on vehicles years ago yet is a nice safety feature.

I don't know the figures but I would suspect the vast majority of new cars are bought off the lot, they are existing built cars, not ordered in advance. Why, because those are the ones that go on sale and that you can make the cheapest deals on. I also don't think the majority of new car buyers know anything about the mechanicals of the car they are buying. After all part of the draw of buying new is that if it breaks you don't have to pay to fix it or fix it yourself, you have this nice warranty that does that. So why would a new car buyer care about ordering a prone-to-break item like an automatic tampax remover when he's going to buy an extended warranty anyway, and sell the vehicle when that runs out? He isn't going to know what's in the vehicle and he is going to care less.
True story - a couple weeks ago I called someone about buying a used van they were selling. I asked them over the phone "does it have ABS brakes, yes or no" the answer was no. I go look at this van that they had owned for years, sure enough yes it has ABS brakes. Now someone explain to me how can somebody own a car for years and not know if it has ABS brakes or not? Don't you think the little warning light that lights up when you start the car labeled ABS would give it away?
This is the typical level of knowledge of a typical car owner, and you think they all want to special-order the options in the cars? Well maybe the cupholders.
Ted