Prius: Basic vs. Packages

I just ordered the basic Prius with no packages. They were outside my budget. Can anyone comment on the basic model? How does the CD player sound with the six speakers?

Reply to
Doug

Thanks for the sound system tips. I chose the Prius because I do a lot of driving mainly due to my commute to work.

Reply to
Doug

Neighbor just got the Prius, initially I was against hybrids, but this new generation of Priuses are something else. The car has great pickup, quiet, and all the gizmos make my gadgets cravings want one.

So I think the Prius is probably the best bet right now. Corolla and Matrix would only be a good bet if Toyota decided to make them e-85 compatible. By my house, regular fuel is 2.56 a gallon. E-85 is 1.89 a gallon...

Reply to
Dan J.S.

There are hacks to make the Prius do 250 MPG

Dan J.S.

Still - u can get 80 MPG by doubling the batteries.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

I'd expect a 26% discount since most people report getting 25-30% fewer miles per gallon using E-85 than straight gasoline. Ethanol has significantly less energy per gallon than gasoline, so you're looking at the same _cost_ per mile using E85.

Reply to
someone

And he *still* doesn't get 80 MPG unless the guy stole the extra batteries AND the electricity to keep them charged.

Reply to
FanJet

Having the tweaters up higher definitely helps. I've heard worse speakers in my f350, but I replaced them. If I knew how the door panels came off on the prius I might replace those too, but a simpler way to connect my xm skyfi is higher on my priority list at present. At least the Prius speakers have enough treble to understand the words in songs, that's better than Ford managed.

Reply to
Chris Hill

The prius is larger than the Corola or echo. If you want cheap buy a decent used car and drive it until the wheels fall off. The prius has a lot of pickup and gets in the upper 40's with the ac on; we got 50 on a long trip a couple of weeks ago. I figure it'll likely get better once it is broken in and we get finished with the heat.

Reply to
Chris Hill

"" wrote: > Mark wrote: > > ...and only driving 20 miles a day... which means it takes > years to > > recoup the cost (not to mention voiding your warranty, no > doubt). > > And he *still* doesn't get 80 MPG unless the guy stole the > extra batteries > AND the electricity to keep them charged.

if you do alittle reading you will see that the 250mpg hybrid is plugged in at night to give it the extra power boost, it doesnt solely run on gas to recharge the batteries. your limited by science when it comes to how many MPG you get. 1 gallon of gas can only produce so much energy. so you may get 250mpg, but your house electric bill shoots up $10-500 a month (depending on how much you drive). and while its still cheaper than gas, its not the massive savings you think you are getting. power has to come from somewhere, and while you can come up with ways to use less, you cant magicly create more.

Reply to
xmirage2kx

However if you plug a car in, you can then use nuclear energy to get your electricity, dropping the demand for arab oil. i think out priority is to use other energy sources as soon as possible.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

If you drive a used, base Fiesta. Other Ford models are as good and frequently better than your Prius.

Reply to
FanJet

Not on my f350. The speakers sucked, only difference is that the rears sucked worse than the fronts because F**d didn't bother to put any insulation in the rear doors of my supercab and used worse speakers at those positions to boot.

Reply to
Chris Hill