If you had to choose!

If you had to choose between a 2001 9-5(4 cyl) vs 9-5 SE(V6) wagon which would you choose and why?

Reply to
Should I

I should choose the fish.

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Bob, you're being stranger than usual today. And that's saying alot.

Dave "I say that with the appropriate respect and admiration" Hinz

P.S. I'd buy the 4 cyl.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Should I at snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote on 20/01/2006 21:31:

I'd go for the 4 cylinder, without question; a 2.3 where possible. The V6 does not have a good reputation. That said, the 4 cylinder (both the 2.0 and the 2.3) of that era did suffer from sludging problems.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I would choose the 4 cyl because I prefer that engine. I change my own oil and so do it more often than the SAAB recomended therefore have no sludging problems. But most importantly, I prefer the sedan to a "wagon".

Reply to
Fred W

in article Ga2dnWy9PqWCsU snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, Fred W at Malt_Hound@*spam-me-not*yahoo.com wrote on 21/01/2006 12:41:

How often do you change the oil, Fred?

On my C900, I change as soon after 3000 miles as I can remember. I'm of the opinion that a 9-5 HPT should be changed as frequently. I keep thinking about a 9-5 (yeah, yeah ... As well as a 9000 Anni), just to give the C900 a break and get it done up to the standard that I cannot while it is in daily and quite constant use. A 9-5 of that era (early 2000s) is within the price range that I'm prepared to pay. I'd go for a 2.3 Sedan. Very plush cars, indeed.

Do we know what the actual cause of the sludging is? From what I have read, it is a problem with the crankcase breathing/vent system, which SAAB put forward a fix and then seemed to withdraw. Was it down to the internal shape of the catch tank? Maybe that was an additional problem. Dave (Hinz) - did you resolve your issue? On a second-hand car, what would an ideal fix be?

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Well, I'm not talking C900's here, but I generally change my oil at ~5000 mile intervals. SAAB actually recommends 20k kilometer intervals (12.5k miles) as a base in the WIS, shortening duration when subjected to severe duty.

Reply to
Fred W

It also depends on what the oil looks like. When I did mostly short journeys in my 9000, I changed oil/filter at 3000 miles. Now I'm doing longer motorway driving and change at 4500 miles. I use Halford's fully synt 5W40 cost £29.95/5L, but usually on BOGOF sale late December.

Reply to
Johannes

When you have a Red Box and a short shift kit in your C900 Turbo, it is always "severe duty" :-)

I did not buy that car to drive very cautiously - that is why I also have a minivan.

Reply to
ma_twain