Wheel Bearings

I have a 99 Merc Mountaineer (Ford Explorer). The truck has 42k miles. It was making a loud humming front end noise, which was the result of a bad front wheel bearing and the other front bearing going bad. I had
them replaced and the problem is solved, although an $800 job.
It seems to me that this type of repair is very unusal for a 5 yr old truck, low miles, and well cared for.
Should I be persuing reimbursement from Ford? I know the warranty is out, but is this an uncalled for repair maybe the result of crappy parts?
If I should attempt reimbursement, what evidence would be needed, and what is the best approach? I do not have the old bearing assemblies.
tyop wrote:

taurus, one month out of warranty and it needed a new compressor....$1500 job by the dealer.. i will never forget it, but then i just dont buy fords anymore.. could happen to any car.... but i will take my chances with others.... then maybe come back to fords in a few years????
Wheel Bearing Hub Assemblies are sealed units / greased for life and no matter how well you cared for the car, that has nothing to do with the WBHA wearing out when it did. There is no maintenance on them other than replacemnet.
Some will last 50,000 miles, others may go 100,000 or 200,000 before they start growling.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~279, 354 miles_~_~_