Why are new Crown Vics hard to find at dealers?

Page 1 of 2
I'm in the market for a new car, and the Crown Vic looks nice. I've checked every dealer in the state and every adjoining state and nobody has any on the lot.
What gives?

Ford's website allows you to build a car to your liking and search dealers near you to find one similar to your build sheet. I'd try that.
CJB
Ford sells all they can build. ;)
mike

I did that and there was nothing in stock as I described. In fact, the dealers had no Crown Victorias in stock regardless of equipment anywhere in the state or any of the adjoining states.
You do not need to run all over the place looking for a particular vehicle. Go to a Ford dealership and ask to speak to the Sales Manager. He can actually 'go to every dealership' in several states, via his online locater system, and find the vehicle you want, (if it is a buildable model,) and get it for you, simple
mike hunt

Look at a Mercury Grand Marquis GS. It is the best value on the market today. Big car safety and comfort, 25 MPG V8, state of the art technology, lots of standard luxury stuff, all for around 20K or less, brand new.
mike hunt

I'll check it out. I think 20K is a tad bit optimistic, though. Maybe $25K is more reasonable, and it's still well within my price range. I'd still prefer a Crown Vic!
If you can bring yourself to overlook the slightly different grill and headlamp styling, you may safely call the GM a CV (and vice versa).

get a grand marquis, and put a crown vic grill and tail panel on it. no one but you will know the difference.
FWIW I just bought an 06 GM GS Convenience with leather, power pedals, traction control, CD player, etc for 17k out the door....not bad for a car that listed at 27k. They really are trying to get rid of them here.....not enough grandpas in the market I guess...haha

"Year End Clearance" keeps getting earlier and earlier, I guess. In my opinion, the CV/GM is one of the best kept secrets of the automobile business. As Mike listed below, they are a great value and they last forever, too!
PoD

There are zillions of former police cars, running as Taxies in NYC, with well of 500K on the clock. ;)
mike hunt

actually mike, 99 % of the taxi fleet in nyc were bought new as taxi's from a company called F.A.P.S. in newark n.j.
Obviously medallion taxis companies do buy new vehicles, as well, but we sold thousands of used police cars to companies in NYC, over the years. Look at the VINs for the P71 code
mike hunt

My one grandson, who is 40 and has four children, bought a fully loaded GM GS for 18K. He traded in a Focus and he tells me the GM fuel mileage is averaging only 5 MPG less the Focus.
mike

We did not expect you to realize the average person in a NG, would expect to see a bigger difference in fuel economy than 5 MPG between a 15K car with a small 4cy with a manual tranny, than a larger 18K car with a large V8, for one. ;)
mike hunt

Barney Gumble wrote:

I bet there will be enough children of the baby boomers that can appreciate a full size car though ....... thats where i get it!
My one son, who is old 45, bought a 2006 in August for his family car when he discovered he could buy a loaded GM/GS for only 18K. $600 less than a loaded 4cy Camry at a FLM, Toyota, Hyundai dealership ;)
mike