2004 Ford Focus - Throttle will not disengage!!!

So, I was driving along this morning to work and traffic started getting heavier. As we slowed down, i could hear the engine was still working pretty hard, even though i had release the gas pedal already.
I checked the cable after i got to work, and it seems to be stuck.
I noticed that the gas pedal is resistant even when i push it down, but the car does still accelerate. When the pedal is released it does not come back though.
Could this just be from moisture or rust on the cable or is this a bigger issue?
~Brandon

Hi-I have had a similar problem with mine(54 TDCi) the throttle seems to stick-sometimes the only way to stop it is to push the clutch in-I have took it back 3 times to Ford-the first time they fixed it-2nd time they said I needed a new clutch(got that) then I took it back a 3rd time and they said they could find nothing wrong. A couple of people on this group said it was a sensor that gets worn away for the throttle. Is the car still under warranty?
bmalone wrote:

I'm further down the list, under 'sticking throttle', strange to relate that since my focus came back from a standard service (at a Ford garage) about three weeks ago I haven't experienced any problems since.. some simple fault they automatically corrected, or coincidence? I don't know, but previous to the service it used to happen on virtually every journey.
Ivan