Ford Focus Strange noises

Hi,
Ive got a 53 ford focus 1.6 with just under 25k on it.
Recently its started making funny noises. I know pretty much nothing about cars but would like to get some idea what this might be.
When pulling away in first gear i get a groaning noise coming from under the bonnet (at least is sounds like its from that area), once i get up to speed, this noise stops, it only happens as im pulling away and stops happening once things have warmed up a bit, or so it appears. Breaks are a bit squeaky as well. Maybe brake calipers stuck on?.
Also, when changing up gears at revs over 3000, there is a short sharp squeaking noise, almost identical to a tyre squeal or belt squeal noise. Not sure if the groaning and squealing are related in any way, both seem more pronounced now that the cold weather has set in, so to me it seems like a belt of some sort has slackened off.
Any ideas before i go down to the garage?

From your description of when the noise is happening, would this be when your foot is still on the clutch? If it is I would guess at the clutch release bearing.
As for the brakes, it will be a slightly binding shoe or caliper or simply the front disks need a roughen up.

I'd go along with that. My 1999 Focus has giving a little squeal when bringing the clutch up for about 18 months now. It only happens when bringing it up sharply with a reasonable amount of revs. Gentle changes don't produce the noise. I reckon its the release bearing too but it'll stay like that until it needs a new clutch.
--
Paul Giverin

When I bring the clutch on the SM up sharply with a reasonable amount of revs, I tend to get a funny little squeal from the passenger seat.
--

Ian D

On 2 Dec 2005 03:02:40 -0800, Mark Trueman wrote:

Serpentine auxilary drivebelts on these are swines for squealing when damp - mine does it every morning for a few seconds. Couple that with a tensioner sticking or going loose and it will do what you say.
There is a TSB relating to incorrectly aligned pulley wheels as well but I think that was issued before the 53 plates came out.
Regardless on a 53 plate and less than 60k it should still be in Ford's warranty if you have the book stamped so I'd let them worry about it.