Focus Zetec oil & cutting out problem, 1.6 V Reg

-- OK I see your point re. CAFE numbers, didn't see that at first. 6 months is still along time between oil changes. Cold starts and short trips put a LOT of gas in the oil. If you don't do a long run to vaporise this gas ( and water due to condensation) You are not lubricating you engine properly. Just remember that oil is cheap. Motors are not. Why would you ever take the chance? Geoff.

Reply to
GeoffP

water due to condensation) You are not lubricating you engine properly.

330k miles on a Rover with 6000 mile changes and the engine was still in good nick. So good in fact that the car was pinched. I've never understood the US/Canadian desire to change oil every 3 months - it might have been needed back in the 1950's but it isn't now.
Reply to
Chris Street

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:31:39 +0000, Chris Street wrote Re Re: Focus Zetec oil & cutting out problem, 1.6 V Reg:

The people who sell the oil and filters and provide the service think it's a good idea.

I personally change oil/filter every 5k miles simply because it's easy to look at the odometer and know when a changes is comming up. When I was a kid, I used to do changes every 10k miles, (Sunbeam Alpine and later a Triumph TR-4) and the oil now is much better. Never had an oil related problem.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Heh, mine is every 2 years or 20k miles :) It hasn't been changed yet, and it hasn't used any yet!

Reply to
DanTXD