Focus 1.6 Zetec or Astra 1.6 Sxi

Any opinions on these cars, something for around 6/7k?

Reply to
gna03633

focus is best of the 2 imho

Reply to
Mindwipe

Seconded.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thirded.[1]

Tim.. [1] Both Paul and I have Foci mind(!)

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The Focus is considered to be the better of the two from a driving and ownership experience, but to be fair, and I love my Fords and my Foci, it only creeps ahead on points. Both are well built, quiet, smooth, handle well, spacious, so on and so forth.

Note that there are (were) two 1.6 petrol configurations used in the Astra - the 8v "base" tune level, which had 75 PS then was uprated to 85 PS (from memory), and the 16v version, which has always been kicking about the 100 PS level. The 8v is noticeably thirstier than the 16v version, but none of the

1.6 Astras are as economical as the 1.6 Focus (the Ford is economical on account of the superb engine in conjunction with tall gearing, which does rob it of mid range flexibility somewhat).

Here's their problem: like almost all other 1.6 small family cars, they're "good enough" in most respects, both in isolation and compared to their peers. The Focus shows off some sheer brilliance, which outshines the Astra (but it is still close) but then the Astra appears to depreciate slightly quicker than the Focus, so you can get a two or three year old example - still under warranty - for quite a bit less.

On balance and unless you have some reason for sticking to the class, your £7,000 could get you a larger, better specified machine - think Mondeo, Vectra, Passat, so on and so forth.

Having driven all manner of cars from the class, and knowing the improvements that have been made to the petrol engines, I'd still get an older turbodiesel. They tend to perform better than the 1.6 petrol engines, are more economical and typically no dearer to insure.

If you're going to stick to the Focus class and with a mid sized petrol engine, there are loads of similar sized cars, and there's comparatively little to split most 1.6s. Alfa Romeos make their 1.6s feel great compared to most other 1.6s - lovely growl, lovely revvy engine - but when you drive a 1.6 Focus or 1.6 16v Astra, the Alfa's advantage isn't anywhere near as great as you would expect.

But if you've gone through the process and it's either the Astra or Focus, then get the best quality example of either you can find, in the colour you want, because (really) there's just a points tally between the two... :)

Reply to
DervMan