Ford 1.6 Zetec-S (Yamaha one) engine potential

Standard, these punch about 100bhp, which in a Fiesta Zetec-S, is pretty nippy. The old 1.6 Zetec and Zetec-E's were bollocks because of the tiny inlet valves and shitty tuning potential...however...

I've just finished a conversion of putting a C16XE 1.6 pre-Ecotec GSi engine into a Corsa (109bhp one). Engine runs perfectly (was dyno'd 111bhp shortly before removal).

Tonight I took it a run and for a laugh, picked on a Zetec-S...big mistake. It pumped me silly! I spoke to the boy and he showed me the engine, it's definitely the 1.6 and not a 1.7 transplant. He wouldn't, however, tell me what was done to it!

What sort of potential do these little lumps have, just short of replacing oily bits?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

THey're becoming a popular engine in the classic ford scene. The thing that limits the power is the s**te fuelling system. Get rid of that and stick a set of bike carbs on and you've got 150+BHP out of a 2L.

HOWEVER, a Vauxhall XE engine can do over 200BHP on stock internals.

BUT you'll fail an emission test. Good thing about old cars is the emission levels are a lot more friendly towards carbs.

Reply to
Conor

He was talking about the 1.6L in the Zetec-S dude. You classic Ford boys should all run tweaked Civic Type R engines - Hondata remapped to 9krpm limiters and 220bhp hehe.

Reply to
Iridium

We're talking about the 1.6 Zetec-SE engine here, right? Didn't think so...

There isn't a Sigma 2.0 engine.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

VVT version gets another 15hp for a start. I suspect throttle bodies and a bit of meddling will free you a few more, but no clue how many. I'd guess that valve sizes are probably towards the upper limit of what they can be, and if you have the VVT engine, you can alter the cut in point for the hot cam to increase power through the range.

Reply to
Doki

Agreed. We get 230bhp from a C20XE on a stock bottom end (apart from a steel flywheel and conrods), rev limited to 7500rpm.

Reply to
Abo

Could be a difference in gearing, too...

Reply to
Abo

Unless you are fitting throttle bodies, larger inlet valves, and exhaust manifold, then very little.

You can coax some more torque and abit more at the top end (5-10bhp) with some cams properly verniered and nice manifold, and tidy up the fuelling with a Bluefin but after that you're stuffed.

My bet is he has some Nitrous.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Exhaust manifold *may* have been replaced, couldn't seee. Apparently the Puma inlet frees up a couple of ponies too.

Who knows, all possible.

I had a look out for the tale tale pipework round the inlet, nothing ;-)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I think the problem here, is just that Corsas are shit :-)

Reply to
Iridium

LOL That's true. It feels a lot better than standard, though. It's on coil overs, down 40mm on Speedline Allessio 2's (Corsa owner wet dream) and runs Uniroyal Rainsports all round. Grips quite well but still feels s**te to drive.

I have a soft spot for the C16XE though. When it was first designed it punched out around 150bhp but had to be dulled down with a heavily restrictive inlet because VX didn't want it competing with the Astra GSi.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Why not just drop a red top in and have done with it...

Reply to
Abo

I like those Allessios - nice wheels.

Hehe nice, can't you just get the dremel on the inlet ;-)

Reply to
Iridium

It was an option, but the valver weighs a good metric shitload more than the

1600. The plan is, later down the line, for some throttle bodies and head work. Should see the power up and beyond that of a standard valver, but without the understeering disaster the extra weight brings (or, even more so).
Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I'm going to try my hand at welding soon, so I've got a spare primary inlet from this engine and I'm going to try welding up a replacement. Manzel make these and they produce some pretty impressive results.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Dry sump it and mount the engine lower down?

Reply to
Abo

Put another one in the back to balance it out.

Reply to
Homer

Because it's either just short of nothing or he doesn't know.

You'd have spotted a turbocharger, yes? Unless one is spending lots of money there isn't much to do. As others and yourself have implied, camshafts, fueling, manifold - these all help. The Fiesta also has short gearing and excellent handling too.

It may well be that the donk in the machine you were driving has an optimistic power rating...

Reply to
DervMan

This was 100% not standard. I've seen Corsa GSi's see of Zetec S's on a straight many a time.

Spotted a turbo charger? Course I bloody would. It's apparent that there must be something a little more dubious going on with it than a panel filter and a decat. As for short gearing, you don't know much about the GSi, do you? Oh, and the handling doesn't make any difference in a straight line.

That'll be the engine you don't know much about either, then.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In news:qB%wh.5292$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Sandy Nuts wittered on forthwith;

I beat a fair few Corsa GSis (and tuned ones) in a standard Zetec-S when I used one as a company car for a few weeks back in 2000. If you get a good Zetec-S they're pretty rapid little things, the one I had W604MDB (I think that was the plate) used to keep up with things it shouldn't have had a chance in hell with.

That one was 100% standard and would beat Mondeo ST200s in a straight fight, not top end, but certainly to 85-90.

Reply to
Pete M