heated windscreen

Hi,
Do all Ford Focuses have heated windscreens? I'm wondering if I could get one without it.
Thanks,
Jen

I believe it is only the top end models that have them. By all account they are real battery flatteners.
--
Delboy

A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
Delboy wrote:

No, they have been fitted to various models. (See previous post).
Although they take a lot of current, they are not "battery flatteners" at all. My 1999 1.8 LX has a HFS which I use often. It has covered 78K miles. It has the original battery which has *never* gone flat.
The screen can only be switched on when the engine is actually running, not just with the ignition on. The ECU raises the idle speed slightly to keep the alternator output high. The ECU turns the screen off after a few minutes operation.
It could be argued that frequent use might very marginally reduce the life of the alternator and drive belt, but no more than parking with the lights on, doing lots of short trips, parking with the radio on etc. Overall, I can't imagine why anyone would *not* want one.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

It is without a doubt the best single option you can select for a car, if you live anywhere with an inclement winter. Seriously. Vision is everything, both for safety and convenience. I hate having to go back to a conventional car in the winter.
Stephen F. wrote:

Yep. I would not buy another car without a HFS. That appears to limit me to Ford, but that's what I would buy anyway :-)
I'm intrigued why the OP appears to want a car without one.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

GM/Opel/Vauxhall had an optional screen a few years back (recognizable by the gold colour, as it was a thin film rather than individual heating wires)
Stephen
Stephen F. wrote:

I didn't know that. How effective was it?
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

jclark wrote:

On early cars they were part of one of the add-on packs on all models so it would be a lottery whether one was fitted or not. Later cars all seem to have them.
Perhaps you could explain why you wouldn't want one? That way, someone might be able to put your mind at rest.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

I just got the Jan 2004 specifications book in the post and it seems that heated windscreens were standard on all but the CL. Thought you might like to know.
I'm interested in getting a car without heated screen since we hardly ever get frost here and I really really like to have nothing impede my view. I know the screen heater is barely visible and all that, but I just wondered if I had the option.
All the comments have been very helpful.
Thanks,
Jen

You will need it for other reasons,- the Focus windows do seem to mist up badly at any slight excuse. Having A/C or the heated front screen clears the mist quickly.
--
Alan
Hi again,

I have a 2001 Zetec 1.6 with a heated front screen and A/C.
--
Alan

Sometimes you need both, thought that only the early models would have the problem, like mine (1999)? OK, even after retrofitting the parts Ford changed after some time to solve the problem, things have improved, yes but sometimes you are lucky to have the heated front screen and the A/C. A/C will be switch on without the control light turned on, as soon as you turn heating into the defrost position.
This and a few other minor problems are the only "trouble" with my Focus, you wonder how long Ford does manufacture cars? Something like this shouldn't happen. And none of the other Fords owned by me had those problems.