Heated Windscreen

Afternoon

The heated screen on my defender still does not work correctly, despite being back to the garage to be 'Fixed'...

The only way i could think of testing it was with a kettle, so i went out and got all hot and steamy in it ;)

When its on, it only clears in about 4 places on the screen, and these are top to bottom and across the whole length, so i suppose it eminiates any wiring issues.

I am intending to go and 'request' that it is replaced under warrenty but i am not sure how well i will get on.

How long should a heated screen take to clear everything? i would imaging 30 secs or so max.

Ive checked my insurance with Sureterm, and there is a small disclaimer saying that they will only pay out a max of £200 - from what ive seen a new heated one is a lot more than that, so i dont think the insurance will cover it :(

Anyone know of any going?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Top to bottom and all the length? Erm to me that doesn't leave any areas it doesn't clear. Care to explain again...

Lots of variables, How badly misted is it? How cold is the ambient temp? etc. My DII screen will take 30's to a minute to clear a screen that when driving you think "hum, it's getting a bit foggy" but that is with the car warm. To thaw 5 degrees of frost on the outside and inside takes several minutes.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about pouring iced water on the screen and trying it ? Our little Ford Fusion's screen will shift ice in about 90 seconds, and demists in around 40-60.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Yes it does now. B-)

If you look at the screen you should be able to see the fine vertical wiggly wires that make up the heating element. Is it just from one or a small group of these that is actually demisting.

The current drawn by a heated from screen is pretty high. The DIIs is split into left and right halfs with 45A fuses for each half. Putting the heated screen on is one of the few things that changes the engine note when at idle... AFAIK the DII screen is a straight split left and right but other screens could do other splits across the width of the screen possibly interleaving the sections. So you may have a wiring fault, perhaps the one of the ground sides if the supplies are all intact and connected. Bear in mind with these high currents it doesn't take much resistance in a connection to stop the thing working. That connection would get warm or hot though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, it looks as if only 4 of the lines are actually working. There are 3 connectors to it, one in the middle, and one at each end.

I assume that there are 2 +ve's and one -ve.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

Get your multimeter out or 12v bulb and bits of wire...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice