second hand car

I am thinking about buying a second hand car and would like to know what should I look out for and clues that it may have problems?
Plus how big a problem is rust and paint bubbles?

I have a German built Focus from '00. Seems like a lot of '99:s and '00:s have had rust in the bottom seams of the doors. Ford has fixed a lot of these around here for free on the 12 year rust warranty. The seam sealant may even be hygroscopic (holding water). Are these issues known from Focus made at the other factories in Spain, USA or Mexico? Anyone know from what model year this might have been rectified? /per