Steering column vibration

Have just been down to mid France and had vibration through the column and into the steering wheel.
Suspect this may be a wheel balance problem or dare I say it a warped drive
shaft.
Any suggestions out there.
Thanks.

Bent or out of balance wheel are certainly more likely. Drive shafts are pretty sturdy things, and if you hit a wheel hard enough to bend one the wheel is probably going to have a lot more serious damage.
Alloy wheels are much more prone to damage than steel ones.
Unbalanced wheels may be most likely, but worn inner drive joints also produce similar vibrations on the Focus. I have had one replaced. /per

The way to tell worn drive joints or wheel bearings is to take a corner with the radio off and listen. If you have worn joints, the noise should increase when you apply power on a corner. If you have worn bearings, it should drop with the side load.

Bad outer joints make a knocking noise when turning tight, but bad inner joints can sometimes not be heard when turning at low speeds, and yet provide ample vibration at high speed. /per

OK, I won't argue that one not having personal experience with it, but if I remember correctly the outers take the greatest punishment since they have much greater angles to transfer power through (they handle the steering motion whereas the inners handle the suspension movement), so are what usually fails first, or am I wrong?
wrote

I've had many front wheel driven cars, and the outer joints have always failed first. But, on Ford Focus the inner joints seem to be a weak point, and one of mine have failed before any outer joints problems. /per