Timing Belt - Change Required @ 60K Miles

All:
I have a 2000 USA Ford Focus SE. It has 60K miles on the clock and while in for a routine service this morning, the shop has asked me whether I want to change the timing
belt for the princely sum of $600+.
I thought that the belts were good for 100K miles or am I wrong? And is $600+ about right to change the belt? Should I shop around?
Cheers, Smethwickman
it shoudn't cost you that much by installing a new timing belt.browse over the parts on this site,http://www.partstrain.com/Shopby/Department you should find one with discount and far less than what you alloted and probably save you more bucks for other repairs of your car.
smethwickman wrote:

The recommended interval for the 2001 USA 2.0 Zetec is 120,000 miles.

I think I paid abotu $450, but not sure.
I have a 2000 Focus SE and mine went at around 102,000
And the price you were quoted was a rip-off, I paid about 1/2 of that price at Pep Boys. While you are at it, have them check the water pump, as it is driven off the timing belt -- If the pump was to go later on, you have to basically do a timing belt job again, with the exception of paying for a new belt.