60k timing built, when did you change yours?

Hi folks, Just want to get a feel from the group when everyone changed or even did there timing built, we all know it is recommended to do at 60k, just want to see the results, also if you did do it how much $$$ ?

Reply to
bob

Service departments would LOVE for everybody to think that 60k is the magic number for changing the timing belt. It's a very profitable job. If you read further in the literature, you'll find that the 60K figure refers to cars that have been used as taxi cabs in stop and go traffic in India. If your miles are more of the low stress highway variety, then the 60k figure is meaningless. They don't offer a mileage number for cars that are used for mixed city/highway driving, but I would guess that you could go 80k or 90k easily. No science to that, but there is truly no science to the 60k figure either.

The problem is that the timing belt does not give ANY symptoms before failing. When it fails, it takes out the whole engine.

Changing the timing belt is about a $200. job. The parts are about $35. If it fails the engine repairs will top 3K. Your choice

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan
100K....looked like new.

Reply to
MJD

The recommended mileage to change a timing belt in Kia vehicles, used for normal daily use is 96,000 km. Some models have what are called interferance engines (belt breaks, engine breaks). The 2001 - 2005 Rio's are one of these..

FYI

Steve

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Reply to
Steve

I wish I could find someone here to change a timing belt for $200. It's more like $600 to $800 here, including the replacement of the water pump.

I'm seriously thinking about tackling the job myself. I just completed replacing the head gaskets, water pump, fuel injector 0-rings, serpentine belt, and a myriad number of other things on my wife's Dodge Caravan 3.3L V6, so if I can do that successfully, I should be able to replace a timing belt on an Inline 4!

Charlie Morgan wrote:

Reply to
Don

The cost of replacing a timing belt is not fixed, nor is the "truly recommendable" interval.

Some cars are hard on timing belts and often don't make it to 50,000 miles (80,000 km). Others can go well over 100,000 (160,000 km).

$600 to $800 can be a pretty reasonable price on some V-6 engines. The Sedona is one where there is just no space to work on anything. You have to take off several parts you ordinarily wouldn't just for access to the engine.

But an in-line 4 should not cost $600-$800. That should be a relatively basic job. And if you have changed a head gasket, you may want to try it.

But be careful, especially with getting everything associated with that belt lined up perfectly. I have heard of people having numerous problems when the job wasn't done exactly right. Only thing you could do if it was done wrong is to do the job over again.

BTW, what is the vehicle you are wanting to do the work on? Knowing that would help.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Eventually - a 2006 Elantra with the Beta 2.0L Inline 4. I won't be in the mileage range for replacement for some time, but was just wondering.

My son just had his timing belt replaced on his Mitsubishi Galant with the 2.4L Inline 4, and it came to a total of a tad over $900. I thought this was absurd, as the only parts replaced were the belt and related water pump, gaskets, etc. But, mechanics here get in the range of $80 to $90 hour at most shops.

There's got to be a cheaper way, but I'm not go> The cost of replacing a timing belt is not fixed, nor is the "truly

Reply to
Don

Just for your information, the Beta 2.0l four used in the Elantra and Spectra has a belt change interval of 96,000km. The pricing here in Ontario is $449.95 + taxes (parts & labour). We have never replaced the waterpump on a Kia, and have never had a return for waterpump replacement afterwards. Actually our parts department dosen't even keep the pumps in stock. Shop your dealers for the price, and don't expect to pay more than 4 hrs. labour.

FYI

Steve

D> Eventually - a 2006 Elantra with the Beta 2.0L Inline 4. I won't be in

Reply to
Steve

This timing belt thing seems to be quite the topic lately; for the record -

1998 Kia Sportage - broke at 127K 2001 Kia Rio - still going at 145K when I traded it 1987 Toyota Supra - broke at 215K 60K for the timing belt is good to help the dealers get out of the costly repairs that might otherwise HAVE to be covered by their superficial 100K warranties. Toyota still covers, what? 3 yrs, 36K and they can't built their cars fast enough. Go figger . . .
Reply to
StLouisMike

Yes you can get them to last more than 60k BUT I have the evidence of what happens when you dont. I bought a car with 138k on it. Timing belt was loose and had skipped and taken off ALL the heads on the exhaust valves! Yes the motor is trash.

Replacement USED motor with 50k also has a VERY LOOSE timing belt.

I recommend checking your belt tension often based on these two.

-SP

Reply to
Speedy Pete