Timing belt interval

Everyone seems to be of the opinion the interval for changing the timing belt is 10,000km. Is this correct - I thought it was 10,000 miles. I have a 1999 1.6 Zetec.

Having said that, I had my focus second hand and the history showed that a new engine had been fitted after 80,000 miles - I wonder why?!

Reply to
Mike2

Mine's on 51k miles and is currently having a new engine dropped in- the timing belt tensioner failed. Annoyingly the immediate and only response from the local Ford dealer was "That'll be ~2800 UKP for a new engine and labour please!"

According to them and Ford UK technical support (01922 725 266) if anybody's interested) the replacement interval for the timing belt is ten years or a hundred thousand miles, whichever comes first.

Much politeness and a bit of persistence later Ford have agreed to pay half of the total cost of repairs. I didn't think this was too bad for a four year old car out of warranty. Though of course it shouldn't have failed in the first place..... :)

Reply to
Tim

I think you may be missing a "0"

10,000 whither km or miles seems a bit low.??? 100,000 would be more like it.

Reply to
Tom Kirkpatrick

Reply to
Theo Weber

I just had my '99 2,0 euro zetec Focus in for 120k km service at my local Ford dealer,and I asked specificly about this. They said I shouldn't bother.Ford recommended change at 160k km. I just hope they know what they're doing.

Reply to
Ivanovitsj

I was just down to the service dept at the local Ford dealer and they had a huge chart on the wall indicating service intervals. Timing belt change was scheduled at 120,000 miles. It did not specify any particular model or engine.

Reply to
Saywhat?

I just went to

I have a 2001 FocusWagon, US market. Under the 120,000 mile service for my vehicle is:Replace camshaft drive belt

Reply to
Tony Wesley

I guess there's a difference between U.S. and european Fords then.

Reply to
Ivanovitsj