Timing belt interval

Everyone seems to be of the opinion the interval for changing the timing belt is 10,000km. Is this correct - I thought it was 10,000 miles. I have a 1999 1.6 Zetec.
Having said that, I had my focus second hand and the history showed that a new engine had been fitted after 80,000 miles - I wonder why?!
Mike2 wrote:

    Mine's on 51k miles and is currently having a new engine dropped in- the timing belt tensioner failed. Annoyingly the immediate and only response from the local Ford dealer was "That'll be ~2800 UKP for a new engine and labour please!"
    According to them and Ford UK technical support (01922 725 266) if anybody's interested) the replacement interval for the timing belt is ten years or a hundred thousand miles, whichever comes first.
    Much politeness and a bit of persistence later Ford have agreed to pay half of the total cost of repairs. I didn't think this was too bad for a four year old car out of warranty. Though of course it shouldn't have failed in the first place..... :)
--
Tim.

I think you may be missing a "0" 10,000 whither km or miles seems a bit low.??? 100,000 would be more like it.

Jist had mine in for the 160k km service and they suggested the belt should be changed. That would seem to support the 100k miles theory.
Mike2 wrote:

Mike2 wrote:

I just had my '99 2,0 euro zetec Focus in for 120k km service at my local Ford dealer,and I asked specificly about this. They said I shouldn't bother.Ford recommended change at 160k km. I just hope they know what they're doing.

huge chart on the wall indicating service intervals. Timing belt change was scheduled at 120,000 miles. It did not specify any particular model or engine.
Saywhat? wrote:

I just went to http://myford.fordvehicles.com I have a 2001 Focus Wagon, US market. Under the 120,000 mile service for my vehicle is: Replace camshaft drive belt
Tony Wesley wrote:

I guess there's a difference between U.S. and european Fords then.