1995 Ford Ranger - What frequent problems do they have?

I am considering the purchase of a 1995 Ford Ranger XL 4WD from a neighbor. Other than the automatic hub problem that I've addressed on a previous post, what are the common problem areas with these vehicles? I want to make sure that I check into anything that might be problematic.

I've noticed that the transmission seems to sound/feel not 100% right when shifting into park and I think even when backing up; sort of like it will kick in kind of late and jerk the truck slightly. I don't know what that is. I'm comparing the feel to my 2001 Toyota Camry's behavior, so I might be expecting too much smoothness in the truck's transmission, I don't know.

Any thoughts on either of the above two paragraphs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David Jensen snipped-for-privacy@xxAssociates.net replace the xx above with mj

Reply to
David Jensen

the 'reverse engagement' problem has been there from Day One on the A4LD /

4R55E / 5R55E

despite three different reverse engagment valve line-ups over the years, I still see it pop up after an overhaul once in a while

it's the nature of the beast, unfortunately

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

The A4LD transmissions and their family are French made and very prone to problems. Check the transmission dipstick and if it's either perfectly clean (just changed to get the aluminum out) or else a grayish color smelling burnt, the torque converter or valve body gasket is bad.

I went through 4 tranny rebuilds b4 they put on a better torque converter and fixed the problem.

I've heard that the French transmissions were sandcast and prone to small cracks that cause pressure fluctuations. I also successfully used a mix of

1.2 Dexron and 1/2 Mercon, getting a slightly thicker tranny fluid, and this also helps.

Steelwizard.

Reply to
Ed Ryan

In 10 years I've yet to see a 'bad valve body gasket' on an A4

no, they probably, finally, realized that they had to flush out the cooler in the radiator or else bypass it

you read too much 'internet wisdom'....

HAHAHA

Dexron is equivalent Mercon..........look at the label on a bottle of it

more like 'whizzing in the wind'

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer