Ford Ranger Brake Problems -- more detail ?

(I'm thinking about buying a 4WD Ford Ranger pickup.) According to "Consumer Reports" some rangers, especially 99's, had brake problems. Anybody know what kind of brake problems ? (I know some Fords tended to need rotor replacement.) Tnx Jim H.

Reply to
jimhigh66

Backyard Mechanic

My Father has a 1999 4WD Ranger. He's not had a single problem at all. I am amazed it is still OK since he lets my 16 year old drive it on the weekends.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

I worked in a dealership through 2001, so these trucks were ~3 years old when I left. The only brake concern I recall is rear brake noise and grabbing caused by glazed linings. More nuisence (sp) than safety related. This was solved by different composition linings. Even wjth the new linings, it is very important that the rear brakes are kept properly adjusted which, even with self adjusters, is part of good maintenence. Ranger pickups overall tend to be pretty tough and dependable.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

How do you adjust drum brakes that have self-adjusters?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

With a brake adjustment tool, same any another drum brake

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Thanks all for your comments on Ranger brakes. They are appreciated. Jim h.

Reply to
jimhigh66