1997 f-250 ignition problem

My truck ignition switch has been touchy of as long as I owned the truck if you turned the key all the way it would not start if you snuck up on it slowly it would start or if you went past the magic point you could back up until it started. Once you knew what was going on it was no problem to start it, so I never considered fixing it. Well now that has changed it won't start, I hoped to see something by pulling the ignition switch but no luck I even pulled the switch out of my Explorer and put it in the truck still no luck, any help on where to look next would be appreciated. Is there a way to hot wire it?

Reply to
Joe

are you saying you replaced the switch itself, or the lock assembly?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Well I had only replaced the lock assembly I know realize that the switch is farther down not sure where. Also I was not clear in my first post this is a cranking over problem, I can't find that one spot that I use to be able to get it to crank over. Thanks Joe

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" wrote: Well I only replaced the lock assembly. I know the switch is farther down. Not sure where. _________________________________________

This guy posted the same problem on alt.autos.ford insisting that the switch was definitely not the cause.

Now he tells alt.trucks.ford he never checked the switch. But he didn't tell alt.autos.ford so a lot of time and effort was wasted there trying to help him.

It's discouraging.

Reply to
Rodan

Snip

Please be assured your time and effort was not wasted and is very much appreciated , I responded in detail at alt.autos.ford. Thank You Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe, you're going to have to replace the switch (the real switch, not the lock). Surely that's pretty easy to figure out.

Reply to
Joe